Here's the video that shows why Mizzou's president had to go

[Read the post]

4 Likes

Wasnā€™t there another video where he made a real bone-headed victim-blaming comment about racism on campus.

6 Likes

Actually, I think that was [name-most-any-school-that-is-surprised-by-this-stuff].

6 Likes

Happy about the white allies who joined the protestors. Wish it hadnā€™t taken so long. The imagery of the white people blocking off the African American protestors, as well as the ones waving the speakers away as if theyā€™re full of it is sickening.

10 Likes

Fat, middle-aged white men trying to silence anyone non-white/non-male/non-hetero*. Sounds about right, doesnā€™t it. Shameful.

*delete as appropriate

9 Likes

Physically blocking a public road and impeding another personā€™s right to move freely is not ā€œpeaceful protestā€.

7 Likes

Hello!
You seem to be ā€œAn Adult,ā€ posting on The Internet!
Can I interest you in readings on Civil Disobedience?

44 Likes

Shouting with a megaphone also stretches the meaning. Nice to see professor Click in the midst again. If I did that to my boss, I would be fired.

4 Likes

someone wants to disobey laws by standing in the street, iā€™m free to disobey laws by nudging them out of the way.

6 Likes

Did they know the president was going to be there? Was that the purpose? Why were there so many people watching (I saw them lining the blocks in every direction). Was this part of a longer event?

Would anyone be expected to exit their car and engage in a discussion, or would that be unique to his responsibility as president? If he had exited and discussed, would that have stopped their shouting, or would that be seen as an attempt to silence them?

If I would not be expected to exit, does that mean if a group of people block my path and shout at me with megaphones I am required to wait patiently until they let me pass?

5 Likes

Kinda seems like everybody in the video is being kind of an asshole. Why should I care about any of them in this context?

7 Likes

Thank you for the link. Apparently you think it proves something. Would you like to formulate that idea in your own words? If you could address how physically impeding other people from moving around freely is ā€œpeacefulā€, that would be awesome.

5 Likes

It seems like the power structure there didnā€™t really think he had to go until they realized the football team really wasnā€™t going to play games and they were going to lose lots of money.

4 Likes

Iā€™m an old fashioned liberal who likes freedom and justice and kind of felt that Occupy Wall Street was not nearly organized enough. This issue, however leaves me with a lot more questions than answers. I am of the impression that the demonstrators were not just blocking the street but they were blocking a parade route that the President taking part in. Iā€™m trying to figure out why Mark did not feel it was enlightening to mention this, as it seems to me to change the equation pretty significantly. People were there to see a parade, and it speaks to motive other than bigotry leading to their behaviors.

It is clear that this group was specifically targeting the University President to set up for removal. For the life of me, for all the smoke on this topic, I fail to be enlightened as to the REAL reason this president was specifically targeted for removal, cause THIS wasnā€™t it Mark. Apparently some sort of lack of action on some actual hate crimes, but nobodyā€™s giving specifics, and I canā€™t even find much about the hate crimes. Now that would be a boingboing article Iā€™d like to see, as this article just seems to be a blunt-object. I really want to know what is going on in depth before I jump on a social justice bandwagon, especially lately when a lot of what presents itself as progressive seems to me to be anything but.

7 Likes

Physically blocking a public road is a well recognized form of nonviolent peaceful protest. A form of nonviolent protest that was used extensively during the Civil Rights movement of the 1950s and 1960s. It is not wholly passive, however, it is nonviolent.

Violent protest involves Molotov cocktails, broken windows, vandalism, bodily injury, fire, etc.

The fact that you donā€™t like the protesters or disagree with them in some way does not Magickally remake the meaning of a term thatā€™s been in use for a century. Their activities are not ā€œviolentā€ simply because they inconvenience you or offend your sensibilities.

16 Likes

Ohh, not exactly. Most laws against ā€œstanding in the streetā€ are obviously inapplicable to the civil action(s) captured in this video. Theyā€™ve been used against such protests in the past, however itā€™s broadly recognized that such use was an illegitimate abrogation of some of our most potent political rights (the inalienable ones. Google it boy.)

Beyond that, ā€œnudgingā€ is an act of physical assault (low degree, ~3rd or so, depending on the jurisdiction). It is a very large step further into illegality than shouting, arm linking and standing in a thoroughfare. There are many trial lawyers in every state in this nation who would happily concurā€¦ on behalf of the nudgee.

11 Likes

You are confusing ā€œpeacefulā€ and ā€œnonviolentā€. I never said it was violent, so Iā€™m not sure why you addressed that to me.

As for not liking the protesters, I generally donā€™t like people who infringe on other peopleā€™s rights.

3 Likes

Oh this thread, thoā€¦

15 Likes

Comparing the two makes for interesting reading. Iā€™m not sure that either answers the question of why the Univ Prez was targeted for removal though.

1 Like

Peaceful is not a perfectly accurate term to describe these protest actions, however, itā€™s regularly used loosely as an antonym for ā€˜violentā€™. You write idiomatic American English, so Iā€™m very confident that you already know this, and know that you are making a bogus distinction.

Youā€™ve made no negative comments about the dickish heckler (at c. 5.30ā€™ in the video clip, the ā€œyou kin go 'round meā€ man with the open beer) and physical assaulter (the ā€˜nudgerā€™ in the GIF above, pushing physically against the armlinked student protesters, seen at c. 6.50ā€™ in the video). In light of the fact that you have negative words only for the student protestersā€¦ Iā€™m afraid I do not believe you are motivated by a ā€˜general dislikeā€™ of those who infringe on the rights of others.

That sweet assertion reads like self-congratulatory rot.

5 Likes