Here's the video that shows why Mizzou's president had to go

At what point was the subject of the protest prevented from lifting his lazy ass off the car seat then walking away?

7 Likes

Doonesburyā€™s blockade series.

3 Likes

For ten minutes? That is one seriously slow brain. Just how drunk was he?

5 Likes

Iā€™m very glad youā€™re ā€œvery confidentā€ you know something about me. As it happens, Iā€™m not American nor a native English speaker, so your assumption is wrong, as are your other assumptions.

You seem quite upset that I disagree with you on something. That makes this discussion pointless and uninteresting. Feel free to continue it by yourself.

3 Likes

Thanks, JeanBaptiste.

Based on the CNN article, the racial incidents involve cotton balls and a drunk asshole using the N word on a large public campus. Not exactly much different than I might run into personally here in Tallahassee. Irritating but not any different than what large groups of humans who get drunk are going to be expected to do. I suspect a campus cop took a statement and promptly ignored it, just like a hundred other incidents of that magnitude that month. You arenā€™t going to rid the campus of all drunk assholes all the time forever.

A University president who gives lip service in response to very minor racial incidents on campus BUT is in the same state as Furguson. Now this campus is full of individuals, angry about Furguson who have just gotten busy reading Alinsky.

They took down this University President because he was a target of opportunity, and boy, did it get press. A shame, too because he was likely on their side. The blockade on the parade route was a set-up.

in the last 24 hours, the vid of protesters (including a professor) assaulting a reporter would seem to have been a major misstep, but was also very, very organized.

To top it all off, that other bizarre thing I heard on the BBC with young men whining that they didnā€™t feel safe and needed to be protected (followed by new-age chants and diaphragmatic breathing) was one heck of a bit of activist theater, but was all kinds of irritating fuckery that rang very hollow.

I predict that there might be some superstar organizers come out of this, but Iā€™d be surprised if it actually addresses minor street-level racism because they will just keep making more drunk assholes. I strongly disagree with Mark about whether he ā€œhad to go;ā€ he was someone who could be made to go. It was a pure power play that had little to do with the claimed problem or any misbehavior on his part. I do not like the cut of these organizerā€™s jib.

The real lesson of this whole thing is that there are billions of dollars of leverage by organizing the football team. THAT is going to get interesting.

5 Likes

Not knowing what else transpired, methinks, the whitefolk joined it to shield the blackfolk from the SSā€™s possible hitā€™nā€™run. Still racist but at least in a race me protect race you knida wayā€¦

Thanks for posting this.

Specifics? As they say, Google it, itā€™s not hard to find specifics. How about a swastika made of human feces? Black students being called the N-word in front of a public safety officer? No response from the president of the college? Minuscule numbers of black faculty? How much are black students supposed to take? How much would you take, if it were you?

15 Likes

I particularly like this interactive timeline from the student newspaper

6 Likes

nah. Iā€™d rather let the demonstrators speak for themselves. The tweet-link contains a page-long statement.

7 Likes

Holy hell, did someone ring the dinner bell over at Stormfront?

13 Likes

Iā€™m realizing that when BB posts on racism come up, especially on Mizzou it seems, the what, 90%+? white commentariat here is mostly all too happy to use the threads to pick apart other matters instead.

6 Likes

Thanks for deploying the Alinsky shibboleth early in your comment. That saved me from reading the rest.

http://blogs.chicagotribune.com/news_columnists_ezorn/2012/01/saul-folks.html

8 Likes

As a white male commenter all I got for this is, what he couldnā€™t at the very least get out of the car and say hey can you come by the office tomorrow first thing in the morning and we can talk nicely about this? Start some kind of reasonable conversation? Nope the guy has to double down. Cause his stupid white man blinders say it is just the good ol boys just being good ol boys, give em a break.

As someone who grew up in that state (though St. Louis it has its share of crackers isnā€™t anything close to what the small towns are like) the fact that this shit still goes on is sad. I started my college time in Rolla which is way small town and too many times for my liking I had to bite my tongue at comments made and do my best to not reach across the table and dope slap the fuck out of someone who would more than likely not get it. So while the whole situation is fucked up at Mizzou I am also sadly unsurprised by it all.

Hell I quit liking my family reunions when one cousin asked me while I was still in high school ā€˜so whatā€™s it like going to school with all the niggers?ā€™. Really thatā€™s what you are gonna ask?

Can I say that there a lot of days I just feel really embarrassed to be a white male in the modern world?

10 Likes

Can I say that there a lot of days I just feel really embarrassed to be a white male in the modern world?

Hey, itā€™s a free-speech country. Itā€™d be good to also hear what else you do about the problem besides biting your tongue, feeling embarrassed and confessing on bbs.

1 Like

Wow! Nicely done! I was gonna comically ridicule the whole ā€œI just feel really embarrassed to be a white maleā€ thing a bit myself (bear in mind that Iā€™m an asshole, though), but you did it seriously and cuttingly. To a member of what appears to be your own side. You win!

3 Likes

Is I donā€™t know acceptable? Fixing a windows server I know, complex math problems I know (well that has been awhile maybe not so much anymore), crazy facts about B movies I know.

Other than the obvious of yeah America isnā€™t over racism and a whole hell of a lot of the old white guys need start seeing this shit for what it is I just donā€™t know anymore. I just try my best to be a good example for my kid and his friends and other people I interact with regularly.

6 Likes

I wasnā€™t ridiculing.

So, how do you feel about being (if you are) a white male?

1 Like

I (not surprisingly) agree with @milliefinkā€¦ It can be hard to do, especially with family, but I think we need to call out racism when we see it manifesting. Of course, itā€™s hard to do with family and friends, but itā€™s doing them a favor and letting them know where you stand and what you see as unacceptable behavior and ideas.

I do like that youā€™re honest about this though. Most people wouldnā€™t be. It took me a while to be able to call out racist shit in my family, too. If family/friends dump you as a result, maybe thatā€™s all for the better in the long run for you. But we got to learn to do it. Because some of them will actually learn from it.

8 Likes

Nah I like @milliefink a lot. She is pretty damn cool by my reckoning. I do not feel hurt by her comment at all. I am more sad that this shit still happens in the world.

7 Likes