Columbia students and allies - a roundup of news

The right wing fascists have successfully installed the idea that Netanyahu = Judaism, and criticizing him and the actions of his government are equivalent to advocating for another Holocaust. They don’t really believe this, but it is a convenient excuse to violently attack voices who disagree with another fascist autocrat. And that, of course, is the actual goal here. Autocrats are not to be criticized, and doing so will be slapped down with excessive violence, as a warning to the next who would dare to do so. It’s a pattern, has been seen before, and will be continued. They need to be gone, November is an opportunity to get rid of some, but it neither starts nor ends with that. I am unhappy with the number of folks i know and even like who, knowingly or not, are supportive of this assholery. :cry:

9 Likes
9 Likes
10 Likes
8 Likes
9 Likes

“I dabble, but not in the way that I used to before,” she said, adding the recent waves of anti-Israel encampments at Columbia and other universities prompted brief relapses.

“When I’m really stressed, I’ll have a block of cheese, but it doesn’t happen that often.”

5 Likes

9 Likes

“These young people seem to think that they have permission to think for themselves and draw their own conclusions. This is incredibly dangerous. It must be stomped out, with extreme prejudice if necessary.”

–John Q Congressman (Q-USA)

11 Likes

*Palestine protest to continue"
Pro-Palestine students demanding that the University of Helsinki sever its ties with Israeli universities say they will continue their demonstration despite an announcement Tuesday that the university will suspend all student exchange programmes with Israeli institutions.

Hufvudstadsbladet reports that members of the Students for Palestine movement, who have been demonstrating outside the university’s Porthania building since early May, expressed frustration with the decision in a video posted on social media.

In that video, the University of Helsinki’s statement is read out, while boos and mocking laughter can be heard in the background.

“While we are happy that our participation in the global student solidarity movement has helped the university find some kind of moral compass, our position is clear,” the group stated in an Instagram post.

In a comment on the university’s announcement, protestors said that the action being taken was not enough.

“As part of the global student movement, we will continue our fight for a full academic boycott of Israel until our demands are met,” the group’s post stated.

7 Likes
12 Likes

Making them watch Simpsons season 10? Monsters.
(That’s bitter sarcasm, for the record. I know how incredibly awful this actually is.)

9 Likes

Schools that protect Palestinian students, and students in general exercising their Constitutional rights continue to be put in the crosshairs by Republicans:

8 Likes

Can you imagine having to defend using negotiation instead of violence as the best course of reaction?

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/05/23/college-presidents-student-protest-deals-00159656

10 Likes

Can you imagine having to talk to those brainless slugs and remain respectful? Hats off, I could not do it. I know my temper. It would end badly.

11 Likes
11 Likes

Interesting that this was covered in the news. The same thing happened at quite a few other schools, but somehow the news was never reported.

9 Likes
11 Likes

I work at a university and I’m pretty sure a good portion the administration there sees students as an annoying but necessary evil to get research grants and building money. Seems she may be on the same page.

13 Likes
11 Likes

That’s not a good look, German police violently suppressing protests against genocide…

9 Likes