Columbia students and allies - a roundup of news

Paris has entered the fray:

8 Likes

This one really encapsulates the correct academic response, to me.

9 Likes

Oh, sure, this’ll work:

6 Likes

I have heard people being called anarchist fascists by right wingers. :woman_facepalming:

I don’t think these people understand the English language.

12 Likes

Nope. They love to twist it for their own ends, that’s for sure.

7 Likes

Yep. They don’t understand “fascist” as anything but an insult. They don’t understand that it has objective meaning and that their behavior checks the boxes for it at 100%. As far as they understand, it’s the same as saying “poopypants.”

9 Likes

What Beau said at the end about defeatism and unhelpful demoralizing rhetoric is spot on; it’s exactly what I push back against here, on a regular basis.

9 Likes

Season 1 Bingo GIF by Paramount+

5 Likes

Over 500 arrests in total at this point, for things like ‘trespassing’ (how are students and faculty trespassing on school property?):

7 Likes
7 Likes

For those – unlike me – who prefer hearing over reading:

5 Likes

Map of US locations so far:

6 Likes
7 Likes

An eruption of campus protests over the Israel-Hamas war has handed Republicans a way to hammer two of their favorite targets: Liberal academia, where pro-Palestinian sentiment has long flourished, and Democratic leaders, who are so far rebuffing calls to roll out the National Guard in response to disruptive demonstrations.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/25/republicans-campus-protesters-democrats-00154508

7 Likes

To understand how universities got to a place of such open conflict with their students, Slate spoke with Katherine S. Cho, a professor of higher education at Loyola University in Chicago who studies university administrations’ relationship to social justice activism. This interview has been condensed and edited for clarity.

9 Likes

8 Likes

it is a response to this:

8 Likes

Ugh. And never mind what the protests are about. They’re all libruls, so they MUST deserve a beating. :weary:

7 Likes

7 Likes

Antisemitism will not be tolerated in Texas.

Unless of course those spewing it are Nazis. Hell, it’s their free speech we’ve been fighting for all along!

9 Likes