Comedy sketch imagines a sobriety test for stoners

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/18/comedy-sketch-imagines-a-sobri.html

9 Likes

Just adapt the Austrian sobriety test.

12 Likes

14 Likes

“What seems to be the officer, problem?”

6 Likes

Totally off topic, but what the heck:
Apparently Graham Chapman was a somewhat erratic driver, which got him pulled over every now and then.
He had a British driver’s license and an American driver’s license; when he was stopped by the police in the UK he would produce his American license, and vice versa.
In addition, he would give the officer the impression that he actually was on his way to the airport right now in order to leave the country and not come back for a while.
Allegedly this worked more often than not, resulting in a verbal reprimand instead of a ticket.

13 Likes

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

But let’s talk about the problem of per se DUI laws for pot.

Why do per se laws work for alcohol, but not for cannabis? The primary reason is that alcohol and cannabis are different drugs, with different effects and metabolism. Alcohol is water-soluble and diffuses rapidly throughout the body, with peak effects and impairment coming around one hour after ingestion and slowly dissipating in tandem with the blood-alcohol level over hours. At any point in this pathway, the blood-alcohol level can be measured and will reliably predict driving impairment.

Cannabis behaves very differently in the body, for a variety of reasons.

1. THC is poorly soluble in blood, so it is taken up into the body’s fat stores rapidly. Maximum body THC levels occur around ten minutes after smoking, and one study showed that blood levels were down below 5 ug/L at 1.4 hours and below 2 at 3.3 hours (this was on average; some people remained above 2 for more than eight hours).
  2. Because THC can build up in fat cells and be subsequently released over a long time period, some people can still have THC in their blood from past exposure, with no discernible impairment. In the study quoted above, one participant had a positive THC level of 4.9-6.3 ug/L after overnight abstention on six different occasions. This person, along with many medical cannabis users, would be unable to ever drive legally, due to prolonged THC excretion, despite no evidence of impairment.
    3.By the time a blood level is drawn, there may be very little THC left in the blood. Impairment can last longer than three hours, yet most will be below the per se limit by that time. Due to individual variability and the rapid decline in THC levels, it is impossible to calculate the level of THC at the time of the accident based on a later blood level.
    4.A number of studies have found that it is not possible to link a random measurement of blood THC to impairment levels, as impairment can take place below 2 ng/mL. Equally, people with a level of THC in their blood of > 5 ng/mL can demonstrate no impairment. Wide variations in level of impairment are seen in different individuals with the same blood THC level.
11 Likes

“how high are you?”
“…hi, how are you?”

brilliant.

7 Likes

it looks like the license plate in the video was both blurred and modified so I sent a screen shot to a secret dark web site who’s scientists specialize in scientifically de-blurring and de-modifying images after extensive research and experimentation. the scientists sent back this .

6 Likes

Home honey, I’m high!

4 Likes

One part of this is opinion, and the other might have happened.

12 Likes

Well, I hear that synthetic shit is making users OD on the east coast… but to me, that’s part of the innate hazard of messing with synthetic shit as opposed to herb which is grown traditionally.

10 Likes

Roger That!
tumblr_pdmye1c3xm1qbqtleo1_500

12 Likes

I’ll accept the bongs and pot; you can send back all that other shit.

6 Likes

Ditto, but uh…maybe leave the blow.
Or maybe not with that poor a taste in alcoholic refreshments.

6 Likes

Nah, none for me, thanks.

A drug that makes folks hyped and often super obnoxious isn’t my kind of vice.
(I don’t need any “help” with the latter.)

Right?

There’s a fucking 40 of Colt 45 in there, FFS!

4 Likes

Oh wow, I didn’t see the coke, and the bennies…

But the mineral water is real good for cotton mouth!

5 Likes

You’re high right now, aren’t you?

:wink:

8 Likes

“We were waiting for the stop sign to turn green.”

This was actually stated by my sister, driving around when she was in high school. Oddly enough, it was my brother who was smoking inhuman amounts of weed.

They’re both still really shitty drivers. I worry that I should legally change my very unusually-spelled last name, so that I don’t get linked to them by car insurance companies.

4 Likes

It’s a distinct possibility.

6 Likes

This is why a good field sobriety test is a great tool. If you are impaired, no matter the cause, you shouldn’t be driving. For example, someone can be impaired/high from his own prescription medication. What good is a blood test in that situation?

Naturally there are various problems with the tests, like with all human endeavours.

2 Likes