Comet explodes over Europe in astonishing explosion (video)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2024/05/21/comet-explodes-over-europe-in-astonishing-explosion-video.html

5 Likes

With all this camera footage, it should be possible to get a trajectory for the object and then trace its orbit backwards to see where it came from. (Don’t be Mars, don’t be Mars…)

And it will be terrific if they can recover some nice fresh meteoritic material - if any of it survived in recognisable form to reach the surface.

7 Likes

Forget Mars. My money’s on Klendathu.

8 Likes

577bf901-89f3-419b-959c-10123b9976b6_text

9 Likes

Has anyone checked on the whereabouts of Marco Inaros?

Marco_Inaros_headshot

14 Likes

An astonishing explosion? Are there humdrum explosions? Mediocre explosions?

4 Likes

*Adam Selene has entered the chat
Points to anyone who gets the reference :grin:

3 Likes

Fortunately, new observatories and other ground- and space-based technology will hopefully help astronomers spot the largest space boulders before a catastrophic big boom occurs.

“Fortunately” and “hopefully” are doing a lot of work in there!

I want to encourage anyone interested in actively mapping our galactic neighborhood, in search of the alarmingly high percentage of as-yet-undiscovered potentially catastrophic Near Earth Objects sneaking closer to us with every passing day–to look into the https://b612foundation.org/, dedicated to identifying threats early enough to give us time to deflect or otherwise deal with them.

5 Likes

Where did those MCRN ships go?

2 Likes

I really wanted the introduction of this post to say, “Comet explodes in astonishing explosion that exploded!”

4 Likes

If they didn’t get the latest covid shot, we’ll be fine.

3 Likes

Oh, c’mon – even though it’s on X, this is the footage you need to see. Shot of a lifetime.

Portugal meteor

2 Likes

starship troopers GIF by Starship Troopers: Traitor of Mars

3 Likes

A bright flash is a bad sign for anything surviving, since it comes from material that isn’t. Meteors from comets are generally too icy to reach the ground. The ones that do are from asteroids instead, or occasionally bits blown off of other rocky worlds like Mars.

2 Likes

guess Im nitpicking here, but Im pretty sure NEOs are not in the galactic neighborhood, but inside the inner solar system, hence the name.

thats kinda optimistic;

2 Likes

Nothing To See Here GIF by Giphy QA

3 Likes

I haven’t seen any confirmation it was a cometary fragment - has any source identified its origin yet?

Stony meteors often disintegrate at altitude due to aerodynamic pressure differences between the leading edge and the back of the object and they can produce quite large amounts of meteorites. Downside - trying to find stony meteorites in and amongst regular stones is - tricky.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.