Comic Neue: a sophisticated alternative to Comic Sans

One very annoying thing is that in Excel they don’t have a simple format option for Tables – they are all colored with alternating bands/etc.

Don’t even get me started on formatting in Excel. Someone high up who has no clue decided that one of the main design documents we use at work should be done in Excel. Why? I guess the reason is they dig the tabs, which are nice. Why there are no tabs in Word I’m not sure. But anyway, Excel does not allow you to make a proper line return in a cell, but you can do it if you hit Alt + Enter. And there are a million other quirks about how it does not handle formatting that make me crazy.

1 Like

Even numbers are suggestive of an unresolved dialectic, while odd ones imply the creation of a new synthesis.

Excel has a million things that are designed to allow for super fast, numerical data entry. If you’re just doing data entry on a huge column of numbers, you can do it one handed using the numpad on your keyboard. That’s why the enter key defaults to next-cell-down instead of line return.

As for Word not having tabs? Well, I think it’s because it was primarily designed for creating documents that are going to be printed out, as opposed to being consumed on a computer screen. Tabs make sense when consuming them on screen, not so much when printing.

It does because of its very creation and context: It was created to imitate lettering from comic books (a medium widely- if overly- associated with childish fantasy). It is overwhelmingly used in publications/communications addressed to- or about- children in a ‘friendly-wacky-fun’ tone. It suggests silliness as much as paper streamers do. I’m sure there could have been some funeral or critical business meeting somewhere that involved streamers but it is not what most people associate them with.

Numbers suggesting gender is just nonsense though… or maybe a strong case of ordinal linguistic personification synesthesia.

Could you please talk to the guy who decided to do an entirely written document (no numbers, no adding) in Excel for me?

1 Like

Many, if not most physics papers are published on arxiv, which must make a serious amateur interest in physics easier on the wallet then a serious amateur interest in some other scientific discipline, such as biology or climate science,.

Most papers published on the site use the typeface Computer Modern, which aesthetically, is a bit jarring. It is, however, the default font used by TEX and LATEX, two publishing systems that are well suited to Mathematical typography. LATEX, in particular, allows one to quickly write papers without worrying about their visual appearance, and still produce something that looks reasonably like a scientific paper-- complete with properly formatted tables, figures, subheadings, equations and references. The default settings look a bit weird, but better than most non typesetters can manage.

LATEX frees the mind to work on the substantive content of their paper-- the equations, the proof, the methods, the abstract, instead of tweaking every last bit of kerning. It allows people who don’t care about typefaces to use them in a semi-attractive, sophisticated manner, and it allows those who truly do care about such things to manipulate the appearance in a systematic way.

Comic Sans, like Computer Modern, is most often used by people with no sense of design, but instead of rewarding users with a reasonably attractive default, it punishes.

Microsoft One Note tables are very intuitive–just press the tab key. Trouble is, it’s note taking software, not a word processor.

Does he have an MBA? I’m not saying that’s necessarily the cause, but I’ve seen a high correlation between MBA grads and way way way way too much use of Excel in places where it really should not be used.

It was designed for, but not used in, Microsoft Bob and was later used in Comic Chat. It was never meant to be a serious replacement for Arial or Times New Roman.

Originally the euro symbol had a eye on it, which only got changed when the EU complained. That seems rather silly to me.

Having said that, If you or anyone else is using Comic Sans because it helps with reading comprehension then you should keep using it because it works. I prefer Lexia Readable because it fixes the mirroring issue, but I know that at some workplaces and libraries you are stuck with the default fonts and in those cases Comic Sans is a reasonable fallback.

No. Don’t use that abomination. There are a bunch of free commercial use comic fonts here: http://www.fontsquirrel.com/fonts/list/classification/comic and a metric shit-tonne of paid comic fonts.

So which is comic sans then?

BTW “sans” doesn’t need to be part of the font name.

“helvetica sans”?

The irony is that comic sans also has serifs on C I J & 1 - plus the lowercase s.

I second the silliness point, but in my case I’d argue that those who use it for business are silly. When I see it on signs or in stores I point and laugh.

I think it’s supposed to convey light-hearted fun… hey, it’s supposed to remind you of comic books. What it really conveys is laziness because the person using it couldn’t be assed to find an alternative and instead just went with the default “fun” font. Chosing default fonts shows laziness - especially when it comes to your business’ branding. It’s the same reason people despise Papyrus.

IRT readability Adobe’s Source Code / Source Code Pro is pretty decent. It was designed to be useful in coding, so similar letters 0/O 1/I/l are easily noticeable as different.

No doubt. He def seems the MBA type.

When I am the world’s dictator, all of my official proclamations – especially Death Proclamations – will be issued in Comic Sans.

The cognitive dissonance induced will be sure to keep me in power FOREVER.

¡lıɐɟ ʇou uɐɔ ı uɐld sıɥʇ ɥʇıʍ

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.