Commie Library of Memes

Yep those good old non-political comics:

Pogo_-_Earth_Day_1971_poster

17 Likes

Lol, reminds me of an acquaintance who used Calvin and Hobbes as an example of an apolitical cartoon.

11 Likes

LOL “non-political” comics.

I guess Captain America punching Nazis isn’t political? G.I. Joe glamorizing the military is totes a-political? Nancy Reagan appearing in an anti-drug Teen Titans comic miniseries isn’t political?

I’d argue that the vast majority of comics are often thinly veiled allegories to the social and political issues of the time.

21 Likes

Surely not the X-Men though!

16 Likes

Right? It’s a total coincidence that a comic book series about an oppressed and demonized minority group of people just happened to be introduced during the height of the civil rights movement.

(ETA And I’m not saying that comics in general haven’t had deep problems with *ism or often cynically glom onto culture shifts to make a buck – just that the majority of comics have really never been apolitical.)

16 Likes

Probably the majority of art is, even if it isn’t intended to be. You can’t help being part of the time you live in.

18 Likes

26 Likes

14 Likes

As an aside, “The Crumbles” is an apt term increasingly being used to describe what the U.S. has been and will continue going through.

11 Likes

I can see that term’s usefulness, but it sounds too benign to me. I’d prefer something like “the gradual rottening.”

10 Likes

“Broken supply chains”, “not enough workers”, yet “stock markets soar”.

The disconnect between the markets and the real economy is getting ridiculous and a correction is surely due. Or is there really a disconnect and are we looking at the wrong indicators?

11 Likes

The Fed has been buying 4 billion dollars a day worth of bonds for over a year to drive down interest rates and prop up the market and prevent that correction. If we instead invested that money in anything that helped the >90% of the country whose wealth comes from work rather than financial investment, the market would reflect the state of the economy more

13 Likes

The Crumbles podcast called It Could Happen Here uses that term a lot.

I have heard that there is Russian term that means “painted over rust” but I can’t find it anywhere and I don’t remember where or when I heard it.

Only thing I ever found was a quote from The Good Shepherd (2006) but I think I never watched that movie.

Valentin Mironov #2 : Soviet power is a myth. Great show. There are no spare parts. Nothing is working, nothing, it’s nothing but painted rust. But you, you need to keep the Russian myth alive to maintain your military industrial complex. Your system depends on Russian being perceived as a mortal threat. It’s not a threat. It was never a threat. It will never be a threat. It’s a rotted, bloated cow.

8 Likes

Dissolve?

2 Likes

collapse

1 Like

Degenerate.

2 Likes

Welcome to The Future (by Leonard Cohen)

6 Likes

That’s just a far too subtle name for American sensibilities. Maybe “The Fuckening” is more apt.

7 Likes

There’s more somewhere.

15 Likes

(regional US humor)

15 Likes