Comparing unusually popular cars in red and blue districts

13 Likes

13 Likes

I donā€™tā€¦ the car was MrsTobinLs decision. They are actually quite popular among the engineers and tech geeks from what I see parked in the lots where I work so there may be a bit of that factor. To me it is just so modern after driving around a mid 90ā€™s Saturn for a long long time. Also I really like that it is easy for me to get in and out of which is one of those signs that means I am old.

2 Likes

The Poeā€™s Law is strong with this oneā€¦

13 Likes

I absolutely hate seeing huge trucks that arenā€™t being used for anything more than commuting vehicles. Iā€™m pretty far to the left, myself, but for many years, I did have a Ford F-150. I hauled furniture in it, wood for projects, tools, and camping gear. It accumulated dents and scratched and it was pretty easy to tell from looking at it, that I actually used the thing for its intended purpose of being a cargo carrying vehicle. When I was no longer doing these things on a regular basis, I gave it up. Yes, I miss the cargo capacity when we go camping, but I donā€™t miss the ~12 MPG the other 50 weeks out of the year.

15 Likes

#?

3 Likes

I still tend to laugh out loud every time that I see a Cadillac/Lincoln pick-upā€¦
(especially when they looked like they had a much easier life than my old Insight)

8 Likes

Remember, this is unusually popular cars; both districts have the same usual popular cars, which are for carrying factory workers and homemakers from their homes to the places where they work and shop.

Anyway, on the left we have the best possible vehicles for carrying high volume, low cost commodities, such as loads of construction materials, produce, and undocumented agricultural workers; on the right, we have the best possible vehicles for carrying low volume, high cost luxuries, such as jewelry, electronics and undocumented sex workers.

9 Likes

Yeah, I lived a suburb which on my block had not one, but two pristine Dodge Ram 3500 trucks with Crew Cabs which as far as I could tell, were used only to drive their kids to school. They basically turned a heavy duty pickup truck into an SUV which couldnā€™t have possibly gotten more than 15 MPG. Then again, they spent 99.9% of their time parked in front of their houses, so I suppose that didnā€™t matter.

3 Likes

Now I bet if they broke these lists out by new vs second hand, the foreign-made vehicles would dominate in both ā€˜areasā€™ - we have a 2001 Honda civic and a 2011 Ford fiesta, and the fiesta has already had more work done on it than the Honda.

4 Likes

It says ā€œI like the cut of your jib, sailor!ā€

6 Likes

Gee, what a well-considered, original answer. Got any other South Park wisdom to share with us?

1 Like

I have a new electric car Iā€™d like, anyway.

7 Likes

Orā€¦ save money on gas while driving an extremely reliable, affordable, high-quality hybrid. Do those things make me elitist?

6 Likes

Dodge actually has been working on a plug-in hybrid Ram 1500 for a while. There are even some demonstrators driving around by some city governments, so you must not be the only one.

1 Like

I am honestly surprised the Prius isnā€™t on both charts. I thought I read an article that conservatives were actually the larger percentage of Prius buyers.

2 Likes

The Leaf is a good car (as long as you buy the correct model and charger) but it only has an 80 mile range. That suits it to an extremely limited market. I enjoy driving it, though.

That could still be true. Especially if your article was talking about fiscal conservatives as opposed to political conservatives or religious conservatives. You never know quite what that word means anymoreā€¦ Paleo-conservatives like me are cheapskates, while neo-conservatives like the coal-rollers actually rig their vehicles to get lower gas mileage, in order to increase the pollution.

The Chevy Volt is a plug-in hybrid, that GM tried to market as an electric vehicle through deceptive advertising. It has a gas tank and a battery, therefore it is a hybrid gas/electric vehicle, even though you can still find Chevy ads that say it isnā€™t.

The new thing is to say the Volt isnā€™t a traditional hybrid - which is also deceptive marketing, but at least itā€™s true, since there is no such thing as a traditional hybrid!

6 Likes

Came here to ask that myself!

1 Like

Sorry. That was lame of me. It very well may have been on South Park that I heard that joke. Shame on me. And good on Prius owners.

1 Like

I find this list very interesting.

Red cars: Big trucks. Showy and impractical. Often grossly underutilized. Deceivingly expensive. Inefficient. Heavy. Many American brands, but not actually made in America.

Blue cars: Passenger cars. Practical for daily use, not super showy. Reasonable pricing (yes there are luxury brands here like BMW and Audi but these cars represent the low-end models). Efficient. Non-American brands, but many are actually made in America.

These attributes all seem like the polar opposite of the supposed party values.

Color me confused.

8 Likes