Competitive worm charming is no joke

Originally published at: Competitive worm charming is no joke | Boing Boing

5 Likes

This is a simple typo and I’m kind of sorry to call it out, but I really love what it suggests.

26 Likes

What a captivating, fascinating ritual.

Dare i say, charming?

10 Likes

Blood Worm hunting in my youth, sold 10 worms for a $1.00, it was my first business.

8 Likes

Well what else are the English to do in the Cheese Rolling off season?

(I was going to say I’m English so I can make fun of us but then thought, really, we’re fair game for everyone)

13 Likes

It’s true, we do have some of the dumbest shit for traditions.

12 Likes

Oh, spill the tea @Tamsin_Bailey !
tea-drinking

7 Likes

Really?
TimelyShallowHen-max-14mb

10 Likes

Cheese rolling, pancake tossing, running around churches with hot cross buns, worm charming, gurning, sheep dog trials (actually, they’re ace), bowls, cricket, fearing that ravens might leave the Tower of London and doom us all, pigeon racing, warming the pot before putting in the tea but always bringing the kettle to the pot or is it the other way around? Excommunicated if you do it wrong.

And every British person has a top 5 biscuits.

15 Likes

3 Likes

Ok, now that is serious business, biscuits could potentially end all strife in the Galaxy or end everything we hold dear.

4 Likes

“Worm charming” must be the British upper crust term. In the South we call it “worm grunting.”

Not kidding…

7 Likes

The current world record for worm charming was made on 29 June 2009, by a 10-year-old named Sophie Smith from Willaston, England. Smith raised 567 worms

I dune know what this world is coming to

4 Likes

What, no electrodes allowed?

5 Likes

truly riveting I wonder if there is a rivalry between all the different live bait factions.

They couldn’t compete with the Sopchoppy Worm Grunting Festival in Florida. :slight_smile:

Worms crawl to the surface to escape moles which they detect by soil vibrations. People in many places learned to take advantage of this to get worms to come to them.
It isn’t oneboxing, but Ken Catania did some fun research on it
https://as.vanderbilt.edu/catanialab/research/worm-grunting/

4 Likes

In the South, maybe.

horror movies GIF by absurdnoise

4 Likes
1 Like

Yep, in the midwest too, we’ve always known this activity as worm grunting.

2 Likes

MST3K does a good job sending this one up.

4 Likes