Compounded semaglutide is dangerous; eat oatmeal

6 Likes

I still do them for the family so microwave it is. Much quicker for single servings and easier to clean up. It does stick to pans.

3 Likes

And the putting sugar in everything coincided with pushing low fat foods and reduced fat diets. Which turned out to really, really be the wrong approach. And this also gets to the capitalism I mentioned. There is a market, obviously, for diet foods. You can find no sugar added and low sugar foods, and you can find low fat foods. If you look at the reduced sugar options, they’ve almost always added extra fat. If you look at the reduced fat options, they’ve almost always added sugar. And both of them add extra salt. And they do this because the diet foods sell for shit if they don’t, because they don’t taste good. So the producers compensate by adding more of the stuff they didn’t take out. It’s a part of the reason why people usually don’t lose weight long term by eating processed diet food options.

9 Likes

And the food pyramid, which was 60% carbs, in order to sell more American grain. Then putting HFCS in everything for the same reason.

8 Likes

That thing…. It wasn’t a thing when I was a kid here but it is now for my children in school (and in medical environments) when we are absolutely certain it is total shit.

Boils my blood when I see it.

4 Likes

Seriously? Even the US Department of Agriculture dropped the food pyramid in 2011 for a more balanced suggestion model, guided by consensus from actual dietitians.

4 Likes

Yeah I know. It’s absolutely mad.

I think they’ve added extra dairy into it to keep the farmers happy. The Farmers Journal is not quite ground zero for the arrival of fascism in Ireland but it’s not too far off either.

Total bollocks.

4 Likes

Amen.
In a previous job, I was the person who supported employees with regards to their pharmacy benefits in a large self-insured health system. You’d think they could get it right. One piece of this was suggesting changes to the formulary to support what people need. The resistance to paying for any obesity-related drugs was and is immense from insurers and employers. Even when I plopped study after study demonstrating that the long term savings and improved outcomes are more than worth it, the excuse kept traction because of shared prejudice against fat people. Even non-profits put dollars ahead of lives. Like Mitch Hedberg noted, alcoholism is a disease, but it’s the only one you can get yelled at for having
More on point for this discussion? Oatmeal.

2 Likes

4 Likes

It’s…interesting…how what appears to be a completely standard dispatch from fun with American healthcare(high prices and difficult availability through channels that include expert medical advice; supplemented by aggressive direct-to-consumer marketing and some interesting regulatory lacunae that we probably shouldn’t force people to gamble their health on) takes on a very different tone in this particular case.

Apparently the mere existence of vanity-related use cases makes a blithe take of the ‘well, if you really need it for real reasons just do the expensive thing like a responsible person’ sound like something you wouldn’t need to be Stephen J. Ubl to actually say.

1 Like

Contributed by Gail Sherman.

4 Likes

This…
What is the point of this clickbait article? Fat shaming? Eating oats doesn’t do jack shit for people that have genetic predisposition or other factors that contribute toward obestity.

4 Likes

But oats make mice lose weight! So of course that works in people! /s

3 Likes

Again, WTF. I’m on certain drugs to deal with my lifelong anxiety. Good news is they work. Bad news is they have caused me to gain 10-15% body weight this year with no lifestyle changes. I discussed this with my doc and he prescribed “the real thing” but guess what? Insurance does not cover it unless you are diabetic. No help from insurance? Sure, that’ll be $1000 a month. So he prescribed me some from a compounding pharmacy. It’s still fucking robbery, but at $250 a month it’s an easier “pill” to swallow. There’s absolutely nothing sketch about this pharmacy. They send you sealed diabetic medication syringes and the main thing that’s different here is you have to dose the meds yourself from a vial instead of a pre-loaded pen (like the “real” ozempic/etc). I’ve only started this medication and don’t know if it will work, but I’m hopeful. As someone who has struggled with being overweight literally since I was 5, I 100% think this article is fat shaming. What the fuck kind of research was done here? And why feel the need to shame people with the oatmeal comment. Come on Boingboing. I’ve been a reader on this site for the better part of two decades. The lack decent people writing here is basically game over for me.

3 Likes

The title is irresponsible. Compounded medications are fine, when sourced from an FDA-approved pharmacy. It’s the unregulated nature, not the compounded med that’s the issue.The author also seems quite oblivious to the fact that a prescription doesn’t guarantee access to these drugs as there’s a shortage.

4 Likes

Here here. I tried getting it through “normal” channels and, despite a prescription, I wasn’t even able to pay full price for the name-brand drug due to shortages (and this was via Amazon Pharmacy online, not some local bullshit walgreens). Our healthcare system is shit.

I feel seen. Thank you for that. And I truly hope you (and everyone else who experiences the effects of perpetual hunger) are able to get safe access to these drugs for as long as you need them.

I’ve been overweight my entire life, with the exact same problem. Didn’t matter what I ate, I was always, always hungry. People who do not experience this cannot understand how difficult it is to combat this. I could feel full and still have to eat. When my weight reached 400 pounds nearly 5 years ago an endocrinologist put me on liraglutide, the daily-injection predecessor of Ozempic, then on Ozempic. I lost thirty pounds. Then I moved to the US (Texas) and there was no way to get the drug without OMG-insane levels of cost.

Fast foward to my move to Florida, new incredible doctor, new health plan, new drug (Mounjaro) that combines the effects of Ozempic and another drug, and I have now lost 100lbs and am never, ever hungry. Literally. Never.

This has without question changed my life and I am lucky enough to be able to afford to continue this drug regimen until I lose another hundred pounds at the rate I’m going. If anything, the biggest irony here is that my diabetes is now so well-controlled that I may lose access to the drug because I’m no longer diabetic, before the weight-loss side-effect can fully work its’ magic.

These drugs are the first thing I have ever seen that I would consider a “miracle drug”, but it’s not all hype. I will live vastly longer now thanks to this drug fixing whatever the hell has been broken in my brain my whole life and giving me a path to be healthy.

I can’t even.

17 Likes
1 Like

Amen. I’m so happy for you and all those (who need them) who’ve been able to access these meds.
People often don’t understand what they don’t experience and a lack of compassion follows.
I’ve been in a similar boat w eating and always feeling hungry for most of my life. In my 20s, I figured out that if I stayed very active, I could mitigate the weight gain and complications, so I took up mountain climbing. Recent years were not kind to me and I ballooned.
I was fortunate to access six months of Monjauro last year and lost 51lbs. It’s my hope that somehow, access to these will continue to grow for those who need them.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.