Facts I didn't know about oatmeal

Originally published at: Facts I didn't know about oatmeal | Boing Boing

7 Likes

Are these “fun facts”?

12 Likes

Also, this sounds like the Simpsons fake Leprosy sores recipe

Nickelodeon’s green slime is an edible mixture of vanilla pudding, oatmeal, applesauce, and green food coloring.

tumblr_mct2brvk5n1qkfwf2o1_500

14 Likes

From the nutrition information on the quoted link. Is this going to be a “spot the fake” feature? Or is the claim that Quaker is lying?

23 Likes

I’m eating oatmeal, Right Now!

18 Likes

I’m soaking in it!

23 Likes

Hey, slow down! I’m still trying to get my head around the “fact” that oats aren’t “tiny O’s”

6 Likes

As an oatmeal consumer, I’ve known about #2 for a while and it’s super annoying. Not only that, but you’ll find a similar trick being played in store brands and other reduced-sugar products. To compensate for less oatmeal, I usually just had two packets, which entirely defeated the purpose by resulting in 30% more sugar. So, ultimately, it ends up being better to just buy the full-sugar oatmeal to get the correct amount in one packet.

10 Likes
  1. Speaking of Quaker, their 35% Less Sugar Oatmeal contains 35% less oatmeal per packet despite being the same price as the regular version. That’s one way to reduce the sugar, I guess.

As a brit, this confused me. Oatmeal, or more often rolled oats are sold as just oats - even “instant” versions with milk powder in don’t have sweeteners in unless it’s a specific variety (Golden Syrup for example).

I love porridge with spoon of Nutella mixed in.

14 Likes

Eck, that word. Makes oatmeal sound so much less appealing to me.

Porridge. Podge. Pudge. Pud. Puke. (Etc.)

5 Likes

GAK!

“as a brit”
Ahh…
As a Canadian, there is only one true path…Maple syrup
I recall some years ago, during an international X-Country ski event, a Scandinavian coach gave a Canadian skier a pole; this resulted in someone sending the guy a lifetime supply of maple syrup. Poor guy was apparently unfamiliar with the barbaric practice of eating tree sap

Since I began to question my recollection of this event, here’s an article

18 Likes

Lucky Jon Heder GIF by 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment

21 Likes

All I can say is that, like Hershey’s chocolate vs actual good chocolate, Quaker Oats oatmeal is the Hersheys of the oatmeal world. I used to love the apple and cinnamon instant oatmeal. Then I found some really good steel cut oatmeal, threw in some cinnamon and actual dried apple. Trying the QO brand after that I learned how shitty it is. Much like I learned how shitty Hersheys chocolate really is.

20 Likes

Ya, I agree. I have four or five cans in the cupboard right now

3 Likes

Ye glakit coof of a Sassenach! The proper way to eat yer parritch is wi’ a drap o’ milk. It disnae huv tae be coo’s milk, ken, oatie milk is fair braw tae, or yer ammind milk, or soya if ye must. It’s ony the we’ans as put jam or sugar in their parritch. Aye mind ma mither daen’ the same whiles ah wis a bairn.
Yon yankees is fair daft a’ways thinkin’ their oatmeal comes in a cardboard box!
(oor sack o’ oatmeal is in the scullery this minnit.)

34 Likes

I guess this isn’t true, as pointed out above. However it made me think of a related deception in packaged food. All processed juice drinks that claim “10% real juice!” or “40% real juice!” or whatever- it’s all apple juice. Doesn’t matter if the beverage is “berry blast” or “cranberry cocktail” or whatever, the “real juice” component is always apple juice. I presume because it’s the cheapest and they’re really just using it as liquid sugar, to which they then add citric acid to make it taste orange or whatever else as needed.

17 Likes

Back in the '90s I was a day trader…didn’t do any commodity trading, but I followed it a bit. There was quite a trade in apple juice for the reasons you describe, but also apparently some of this “juice” was adulterated by or even completely comprised of “sugar water”.

7 Likes

Whatever it was you just said reminds this gem from the mid-90s :wink:

4 Likes

Oatmeal with sugar? Gah. I prefer mine savory. Here’s one made with dashi and shiitake mushrooms.

15 Likes

I’ll never understand what kind of lapse in scientific thinking and process led to experiments like –– lets add radiation and see if its good!

3 Likes