Quaker Apples & Cinnamon has "35% less sugar" because they've cut the portion size by 35%, while the price remains 100%

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/20/grocery-shrink-ray.html

Um, it’s not 35% less sugar than before, it’s 35% less sugar than their regular flavor. Says that right on the box.

3 Likes

Package on the left has approx. 8g sugar per ounce. Package on the left has 6g sugar per ounce. As @shwonline says, they’re really comparing apples & cinnamon to their regular flavor. Even if that weren’t the case, their math is very close to accurate.

7 Likes

And if you are really that concerned about the sugar in your instant oatmeal just buy the jumbo canister of Quaker regular oats for the same price as a box of instant, pick up some apples and cinnamon, and make your own.

Sometimes I saute some apples, butter, brown sugar and add it to plain oatmeal. Never said anything about it being super healthy, but it’s damn tasty.

8 Likes

Just get a big tub of their old fashioned oats and add as much sugar and whatever as you like, Cory. I do a handful of craisins (dried, sugared cranberries), and it’s great.

2 Likes

Quaker uses the opposite tactic on Oatmeal Squares. They claim a huge amount of whole grains, way more than most other cereals. But the suggested serving is huge, I think like a full cup, which is a serious heaping mound of cereal, way more than you’re likely to actually eat.

In fact, I read this comment while eating oatmeal made that way (with golden raisins instead of cranberries). Combine 1 cup water, 0.5 cup quick oats, heaping spoonfuls of dried fruit and brown sugar, and a pinch of salt. Microwave until cooked; my low-power oven takes 3.5 minutes. Stir, let sit for 30 seconds, add milk and eat.

1 Like

Anybody notice that the frosted pop-tarts have less sugar than the unfrosted? I was comparing boxes in the grocery store because I haven’t bought them in years and was puzzled when I saw the results. I’m sure this must be the center of a reddit ELI5 or a Jerry Seinfeld routine, but I’ll leave that as an exercise for the reader.

5 Likes

Called customer service (800-367-6287) who claimed the sugar substitute they’re now using somehow makes my reading of the article imaccurate in deduction and perspective…

…late fucken’ stage capitalism

3 Likes

Comparing the two packs - sugar has gone from 12g to 6g

what I mostly object to is having servings with sizes like 1.51 and 1.09 oz.
Seriously. It can’t at least be 1.5 and 1.1? They aren’t even that way because of conversion from a nice number of grams: 43 and 31 grams.

Maybe oatmeal needs to be served in prime numbers of grams to qualify as heart healthy?

1 Like

Not sure I’d trust even that label, Quaker used to be a good brand but they got into financial trouble and were bought out by PepsiCo back in 2001. Never been the same since.

3 Likes

I’m using regular in this case to differentiate between their standard oats and quick cook, while the boxes are mostly instant, and then of course other vendors of steel cut.

I’ve never really had an issue with any Quaker oatmeal products. Yes, higher dollar whole oats have more flavor, but I really feel that is a personal preference. I grew up on instant, so it doesn’t really bother me.

My main objection, besides the misleading marketing and labeling, is the insane amount of sugar they shovel into most of their products now.

2 Likes

Comparing the two packs - The nutritional info at the bottom shows sugar has gone from 12g to 6g, so they’ve halved sugar whilst reducing pack size by 35%.

Addition, subtraction, multiplication, division. It’s arithmetic.

Can the author have at least some integrity here and update their post to admit they were completely wrong here and didn’t do the math? The packaging is 100% accurate.

3 Likes

This.

And yeah, just buying oats (even quick oats) and a box of plastic sandwich bags, and you can pretty much create your own zero sugar but extra raisins and cinnamon portions. Takes maybe 5 minutes to make 5 tiny bags. Throw in some pecans or walnuts. Same damn thing. Use organic stuff–even better. When we travel, these weigh nothing, take up practically no space, and are fine on airplanes, in cars, etc. Carry a commuter mug (for coffee or tea) and you don’t even need a dang bowl.

Comparing the two packs - sugar has gone from 12g to 6g

Exactly. That alone would reduce the 43 g packet to 37 g. Of course, they are skimping on oats too. The box on the left says 26 g whole grains, and the reduced sugar version has 23 g. That’s the real reduction (11.5%) I’d be concerned with, if I were inclined to get my pitchforks out for anything.

1 Like