Compounds in human exhalations during movies vary in response to suspense and comedy

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/08/08/compounds-in-human-exhalations.html

Interestingly, the two film scene labels with the most significant linkage to chemicals measured were “suspense” and “comedy”. These could be interpreted as an evolutionarily advantageous alert/stand-down signal, if perceivable by others34.
Is there one for late-period Adam Sandler films? How about Snyder-era DC superhero movies? If someone could breathe out that signal early, it'd be a real public service.

So my basset really can tell when I’m scare, happy, etc?

For the Sandler films they study other bodily exhalations.

All sorts of interesting ramifications in this. One of which being, that if people can detect - and be influenced by - the exhaled compounds of others, mass shared experiences could be more intense and/or enjoyable because of the chemical component. Seeing a movie with 100 other people could be a qualitatively different experience than seeing it by oneself, even on the same screen, for example.

Not Nature. Scientific Reports is an open access journal, one of the ~130 journals (see http://www.nature.com/siteindex/index.html for a list) published by Nature Research (which used to be the Nature Publishing Group before the merger with Springer). So its online home is at nature.com, but it’s not Nature.

Yeah, this is an important distinction. Scientific Reports is where Nature papers go to die.

There are plenty of good critiques of high impact factor journals to go around but I don’t think anyone I work with even bothers to read Scientific Reports. Not to suggest everything in there is rubbish or untrustworthy, just that publication there implies a couple of referees trashed it when it went through review at Nature and Nature X (X = Materials, Nanotechnology, etc…).

I’m not really qualified to assess this paper though.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.