Structural engineer unimpressed by suspension bridge collapse scenes in movies

[Read the post]

4 Likes

But has he taken into consideration what might be lurking underneath?

10 Likes

The great 6 armed we are on a budget ā€˜Octopusā€™!

3 Likes

Iā€™ve found that the more Iā€™ve learned about math and physics, the more Hollywood special effects are ruined for me.

Donā€™t get me wrong, Iā€™ll buy that something ā€œmagicā€ happens in a sci-fi movie, but a lot of movies donā€™t respect their own damn rules enough to make sense. Like in Avatar when you had these ridiculous floating islands created by strong magnetic effects. Okay, fineā€¦ maybe. Then they fly a fucking metal helicopter through it. Even non-ferrous metals moving through magnetic fields experience at least electronic effects. Especially if the field is strong enough to lift a fucking island. Donā€™t even get me started on soil mechanics and how those islands retain enough soil to grow things.

5 Likes

Help! Help! Iā€™m trapped in an awful movie!
- The cast of Final Destination V

5 Likes

Itā€™s kind of a buzzkill watching movies with people who point out flaws. As a kid I remember watching ā€œBackdraftā€ with my grandpa, who was a retired firefighter. Every few minutes, heā€™d pipe-up with ā€œThat would never happen!ā€. Another time while watching ā€œTop Gunā€ with my USAF fighter pilot brother in law, it was the same naysaying nonsense all over again. Itā€™s not like these Hollywood blockbusters are passing themselves off as documentaries so let some of us suspend our disbeliefs and enjoy the movie.

2 Likes

Itā€™s hard when all the instincts garnered from what you do for a living are screaming at you from inside your brain.

6 Likes

The buzzkill for me on that movie was the terribly predictable and trite dialog and plot. I just boggled at why all other people said it was so good. I will grant that seeing on a big movie theater screen would make the jet scenes more entertaining but not enough to save the film for me.

3 Likes

What that Final Destination scene really tells us is that humans are like water balloons full of blood.

7 Likes

All the ā€œoccupational experienceā€ triggers happen for me when I watch ā€œLust for Lifeā€.

In this chapter, Sam Lawton is stuck in traffic on the North Bay Bridge in western New York (played by Vancouverā€™s Lions Gate Bridge, the only non-iconic bridge on this list)

Lions Gate Bridge is non-iconic? I donā€™t know if I can trust this guy.

1 Like

However, as a programmer, I am consistently impressed by the accurate depictions of the computing profession as theatrically displayed in Hackers, Swordfish, et alia.

8 Likes

While I understand giant robots, like the Jaegers from Pacific Rim, arenā€™t technically feasibleā€¦they still are my guilty pleasure.

2 Likes

Itā€™s OK! Arenā€™t they all killed anyways?

How it really looks when you, well you can see for yourself.

5 Likes

Not even gonna go there. Nope.

Itā€™s kind of a buzzkill watching Backdraft.

Luckily, the driver of the Dodge, Mickey Miller of Garrison, and his 10-year-old son were able to exit their vehicle uninjured.

Somehow he was able to unbuckle the seat beat and exit the other side of his truck as it was falling.

7 Likes

Get this structure some triangles, stat!

4 Likes

This is the one that freaked me out when I was a kid. Still get a hollow feeling in my gut whenever I have to drive over a bridge.

5 Likes