Concentric circles, not a spiral

[Read the post]

1 Like

It’s literally painful to perceive the circles.

15 Likes

Yeah, takes a lot of work.

hiss It burns us…

11 Likes

The black/white pattern on the circles seems to be the big driver here: if you convert it into monochrome the illusion is still there, though not as persistent.

2 Likes

Close one eye and squint the open one until it gets a little blurry, then you can see they’re clearly circles and then wonder why you put so much effort into seeing them and then wonder why you bothered to write a comment telling others how to spend their effort to see them as well and then you realize that the circles are a mental virus and this is the method by which they spread!!!

19 Likes

I see Late Stage Capitalism and I just can’t stop that downward spiral motion.

3 Likes
3 Likes

Damn you!

swallows handful of ibuprofen

6 Likes

I think it’s those 45-degree-rotated 2x2 checkerboards that are actually driving the illusion. Take those out and it should just look like patterned concentric circles.

2 Likes

Really? I just unfocus slightly, and there they are. Pretend you’re looking at a christmas tree after too many eggnogs… relax your head instead of tightening it.

Maybe it’s just me, I dunno.

2 Likes

Don’t believe the hype! It’s a spiral!

5 Likes

… it’s just you.

:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

ETA: coincidentally, that emoticon was almost exactly my facial expression while trying to pick out the circles.

3 Likes

Someone should print it out and then spin it, and tell us what it does to their brain.

It’s sort of fun to alternate the spiral pitch direction:

12 Likes

I didn’t actually need anything else for my brain to argue with me about, thanks.

3 Likes

I tried that, and the next thing I knew it was 4 hours later and I was barking like a chicken in front of a carnival audience.

9 Likes

I’d go one step further and just say it’s literally painful to perceive.

2 Likes

You’re evil!

Well done.

2 Likes

I think you might have a few more years of practice at this than many of us.