Trick your brain with this spinning dots optical illusion

Originally published at: Trick your brain with this spinning dots optical illusion | Boing Boing

1 Like

here’s the clip for bbs (the embeded movie didn’t load in my browser)

3 Likes

Does this work in person, or only on video? Because it’s not unusual to get this kind of effect as a result of beating interference between the camera’s frame rate and some periodic motion, like the spokes on a spinning wheel.

4 Likes

This will work in person - you can do this with fan moving slow enough so that the blades aren’t a blur to the eye. You can convince yourself that it’s moving the opposite direction for a second or two.

2 Likes

I’m mystified as to “soften my gaze”. Sorry, it just stays hard like a boiled egg. Thousand-yard stares are mine.
But I can make the thing change direction. Just shift your attention from the centre of the wheel to one side or the other. Look at the left side - it spins to the right. Look at the right side - it spins to the left.
I have just been doing the Glasgow University “Perception Census”. They tried to hypnotise me. THAT didn’t work!
Espn No GIF

1 Like

Heh, thanks. I thought it was A. a prank, or B. my brain is so cross-wired I couldn’t see an y dots.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.