These gears aren't spinning. It's an optical illusion. Really. (strobe warning)

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/03/06/these-gears-arent-spinning.html

17 Likes

Well of course they aren’t spinning. They’re locked together in a way that makes rotation mechanically impossible. What cruel designer is torturing my engineering mind with this abomination?

36 Likes

Why the spinning color wheels in the middle?

The illusion seems to work perfectly well without them, and having a part of the image that is actually spinning seems like cheating.

7 Likes

I cannot see them spinning. Am I alright?

But, like, everything is spinning all the time, man. Earth on its axis and around the sun, solar system around the Milky Way, ad infinititum.

Nothing is ever still, from the tiniest particle to star systems.

But, still, cool illusion

7 Likes

just changing background color

2 Likes

I feel like this one sort of… half-worked? It’s not like I can’t tell what’s supposed to be happening when I look at it, but it’s also not one of those illusions where my brain is so completely fooled that the truth feels like it should be impossible. The illusion of motion is pretty weak, especially looking at the outer edges of the gears instead of the center.

(strobe warning)

That’s OK. I was going to replace my retinas anyway.

2 Likes

They could have made the illusion even more realistic by adding a fourth gear, and reversing the rotation illusion for two of them, and it wouldn’t have lost any of the wow factor.

2 Likes

But does anyone else HEAR something while watching them? That’s what I found to be the most distracting

2 Likes

The effect would be ten times better if not for the obvious mechanical implausibility (as just pointed out). For instance if the gears were arranged linearly.

2 Likes

But they’re still evil, right? That part’s not an illusion, right?

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.