Concord Coach tells passengers they must be US citizens to ride their bus

I was going to say that’s not really accurate, since they’re not a tour bus company and they don’t service the tourism region of the state, but apparently I’d’ve been half wrong; when I wasn’t paying attention they’ve apparently added a bunch more bus routes, including ones into the Lakes Region and White Mountains. They used to be mostly Concord-Manchester-Boston.

Still, have to assume the driver’s an idiot, a Trumpster (but repeat myself), or wasn’t paying attention, because “only US citizens may ride” is for now still a pretty unlikely company policy.

Pretty sure that the Title VI federal transportation nondiscrimination law covers national origin.

As does the Maine Human Rights Act.

10 Likes

Can anyone figure out why this would be happening in Bangor, Maine? Bangor just isn’t a transit hub for people CBP wants to victimize.

The only thing I can come up with is: either, the luckless CBP assigned to this place “need something to do”; and/or wacko Maine governor LaPage has aggressively encouraged and cooperated and given them “something” to do, to look tough on immigration.

Sure but are MS-13 really streaming in through the Canadian border?

3 Likes

Except he totally isn’t even doing that correctly. Citizenship is not a prerequisite to a right to travel. Its discrimination on the basis of alienage.

Plus the pigfucker has never heard of foreign tourists?

5 Likes

Bangor is within 100 miles of the US border. CBP and ICE have pretty broad authority to do whatever the fuck they want within that 100-mile civil rights exclusion zone. And fascists gonna fasc.

3 Likes

They’re getting so rare that that chapter was dropped from the CBP training manual.

It’s best to play dumb in these situations and let someone explain exactly what they mean. They will squirm and try to get out of it as long as possible, and sometimes refuse. Which is fair, because by not ‘knowing what they mean,’ you’re refusing to play their racist fucking games.

(this is in no way a criticism of you, so much as a technique I use.)

2 Likes

Very astute. Now imagine it being spoken by Kristen Wiig as Target Lady.

2 Likes

Here’s the customer service contact number for Concord Coach Lines;

“To speak with an Information Center Agent, please call 1-800-639-3317, or 603-228-3300. Information Center Agents are available to assist you Sunday – Friday, 5:00am – 10:00pm and Saturdays 5:00am – 8:00pm.” https://concordcoachlines.com/contact-us/

They do offer a statement on their web site saying that this employee’s actions were a mistake and that they do not require US citizenship as a prerequisite for riding their busses. However, taking a few minutes to call and share your concern can help ensure that Concord will spend the necessary time and resources to make sure that their employees do not spread racist misinformation. Make an anti-facisim call today :wink:

2 Likes

Butt stupid, with a double side of shit.

The only buses I have used in the US were at LaGuardia and JFK airports. It would be hilarious if I had been kicked off for being an Aussie tourist in NYC.

libertarian/conservatives, who in a earlier time were are pro-slavery/anti-civil rights.

:musical_note: When the truth is told and there is
The dignity to remember the dead
Because as long as they are distorting the past
It means they have the intention of doing it again :musical_note:

It will only get worse, my friend.

This is the end.

They’re aliens. At least they act like they’re from another planet. That’s the only thing I’ve been able to come up with.

As a potential tourist (but i admit i have been steering clear of the US even for connections in the TSA era), i thought of this exactly.

I know everyone wants to jump on these things as racism but it’s far more about classism. If these were wealthy immigrants it would be very different. The racism is side effect of the fear of others wanting what they’ve got. Their jobs and neighbourhoods and security. If there was thousands of desperately poor white immigrants Im sure they would find a way to demonise them and have the same response.

Usually by defining them as no longer white.

Poles, Greeks, Italians, Spaniards…they all slipped in and out of whiteness as context demands. Whiteness is a social construct, not an ethnicity.

BTW: have you heard this? Nifty discussion of race/class intersectionality in the lyrics, in both US and UK contexts.

This one, too:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.