Think you're a U.S. citizen? Prove it!

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/09/04/think-youre-a-u-s-citizen.html

Tom the Dancing Bug, IN WHICH United States “citizens” born near the Mexican border (wink, wink) are helpfully told the documents they’ll have to provide to prove they are citizens.

12 Likes

Well, yes. That’s about the size of it.

12 Likes

Sometimes this shit is just too sad (for me) to laugh at…

10 Likes

This is not so funny. Ever since this news broke the first thing I thought is, come the mid-term elections day, they may attempt to prevent any person who looks are of Latin descent from voting. Just tie up the whole ballot location, kind of like filibusting the election. If you happen to be a district heavily favored by brown folks and a few whitey’s can’t cast their vote due to the chaos, oh well.

5 Likes

I was born near the Canadian border. Should I be worried?

5 Likes

11 Likes

My daughter is constantly mistaken for Mexican. Including by her High School Spanish teacher.

Any cop watching her roll her eyes and sigh when asked for her Green Card is instantly aware that she is a highly privileged American teenager. You just can’t really fake that level of attitude.

But it’s still annoying.

9 Likes

The way trump feels about Canada right now, yes, you should be worried. I’m worried for you.

I mean, we joke, but my husband was actually born in Guatemala. His parents are American citizens who were visiting when the 1976 earthquake hit and they couldn’t leave the country. I have concerns about his ability to renew a passport with his Guatemalan-issued birth certificate.

7 Likes

Real Americans aren’t born near the southern border.

9 Likes

Nah, (I assume you’re white).

Friend of mine worked as a literal cowboy decades back, as an illegal Canadian immigrant. California immigration raided the ranch he worked on, and sat around with him shooting the shit while running all the brown folk’s papers (or arresting them). BTW they didn’t ask for any info from him. He couldn’t say shit because he needed the job/money just as bad as all of the other illegal cowboys.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.