Trump's government denying passports to some Americans born near U.S.-Mexico border: WaPo

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/29/trumps-government-denying-pa.html

8 Likes

Texas is a voter ID state. What are the chances of a voter roll purge along the border this time of year?

37 Likes

I know I should no longer be shocked by shit like this, but holy shit! Is there no level of assholery off limits to these shitstains?

19 Likes

Well knock me over with a feather.

20 Likes
15 Likes

Go ahead, sue us. Taxpayer’s got it covered.

13 Likes

31 Likes

How much do you wanna bet a fair number of these people have strong voices in their communities?

17 Likes

trump could have another hugely successful reality tv show where he is followed around after a failed presidency “knocking on friends doors” and constantly finding he has none. sort of like the trump version of arrested development.

10 Likes

Nihil novi sub sole.

26 Likes

Gessen’s Rule 1: Believe the autocrat.

19 Likes

These people aren’t even immigrants at all though, from what I understand; they’re natural born citizens.

21 Likes

It’s the expected next step from the regime. First, they went after Latinx undocumented immigrants, then Latinx naturalised citizens, then Latinx citizens born in South Texas using the excuse that there was some incidence of fraud decades ago that was no fault of the individuals affected.

They’re continuing to set up a regime where legitimate and long-established U.S. citizenship can be pulled at the whim of the executive branch and its political aims. And they’re not done yet.

36 Likes

This is what happens when you elect a bunch of guys who watched Born in East L.A. and didn’t realize that Cheech Marin was actually supposed to be the protagonist.

12 Likes

First: “Republicans are just against undocumented immigrants, not legal immigrants!”

And then: “Republicans are just against immigrants, not Latino citizens!”

And now: “Republicans are just against Latino citizens living near the border!”

It’s obvious what comes next, right? Got brown skin? You’re going to the camps.

What’s the strategy for fighting this? 'Cause Trump, Stephen Miller, and ICE are fucking dying to start making some human-skin lampshades, and eventually, they’ll just start ignoring protests and complaints from the press.

23 Likes
8 Likes

Rhetorical question, right?

1 Like

Lawsuits, lawsuits, lawsuits. This is a direct violation of the 14th Amendment citizenship clause.

At this point there is no way it is humanly possible for me to treat conservatives in a polite and civil manner. They are fucking up this country in abominable ways. Stripping citizenship of natural born citizens, concentration camps, goon squads. THIS IS NOT WHAT AMERICA IS ABOUT!

11 Likes

Do non citizens really have standing to sue once they’ve been stripped of their citizenship?

2 Likes

Unfortunately, it is. Always has been.

The Trail of Tears, the Moro Wars, the Mexican Repatriation Act, the slave patrols, the burning of Black Wall Street, etc etc etc.

It’s always been there. It’s just more visible now.

19 Likes