Secret recording of weeping children begging for their parents while a Border Patrol official mocks them

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/06/19/in-our-name.html

4 Likes

And some people say talking of “fascism” is over the top. All the while, our children - yes, these are “our” children and our responsibility - are being sent to concentration camps.

23 Likes

If some random person took children hostage and demanded concessions, we’d call it terrorism and him/her a criminal. Trump calls it “the art of the deal.” #christwhatanasshole

32 Likes

Trump says Democrats have to change this law. Vote in November and make his wish come true.

28 Likes

I couldn’t listen to this… Reading your comment and the story about your daughter allready had me in tears. I had the exact same experience when my first was born 4 years ago.

13 Likes

I wasn’t going to listen to this because I thought it would be too much for me. But I did, because as you say “this is happening on our watch, with our tax dollars, in our name.” Guards mocking children, discussions about ID numbers that can’t be lost (how long before they take that to the logical and historical conclusion?), children crying for their parents, workers wondering about all that bother of providing food for kids.

If you’re an American citizen it behooves you to listen to the whole damn thing. I guarantee you that any initial discomfort will be transformed into a white hot rage if you have any modicum of decency*. And that might spur you into action to get this monstrosity shut down.

[* the Know-Nothing 27% are by this last term excluded from my exhortation]

18 Likes

The process is working as intended

4 Likes

tumblr_pai3fzrKvW1u0qbhgo1_540

28 Likes

There is a part in my Father’s journals that he describes visiting his deceased relatives in France after WWII, when he came to the multiple children’s graves he broke down, the local gendarmes had to take him to the hospital. I don’t think he ever recovered, really.

We lost every member of my Family in WWII, my Father was the sole survivor, I am his sole survivor, think about that…

27 Likes

Announcing new job openings in ICE: no one possessed of soul or conscience need apply.

9 Likes

Here’s a little more detail to add to this tragedy -

Inside a room dedicated to toddlers was a little girl no older than 2, screaming and pounding her fists on a mat. One woman tried to give her toys and books to calm her down, but even that shelter worker seemed frustrated, because as much as she wanted to console the little girl, she couldn’t touch, hold or pick her up to let her know everything would be all right. That was the rule, Kraft said she was told: They’re not allowed to touch the children.

That’s not the reporter, that’s the people charged with caring for these children. They can’t hold the crying babies.

15 Likes

President Trump bizarrely claimed that his own administration’s policy was instituted by Democrats. It’s unclear exactly what he was referring to, but it’s believed to be in reference to a 2008 law passed by a Democratic Congress but signed by Republican President George W. Bush, which only focuses on children who cross the border without a parent or guardian.

8 Likes

Yeah I have tears in my eyes.

So proud to be an American.

How is this not cruel and unusual punishment? Why are we ignoring the Eight Amendment?

Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.[

8 Likes

Question (trying to research this but i’m at work), does the 8th Amendment apply to non-citizens? I was also reminded of Habeas Corpus but the wording on that specifically notes that it applies to citizens though i’m also unsure if that can apply to non-citizens as well. Also does the 8th amendment apply to people that haven’t been charged with a crime?

Doesn’t matter WHOSE children. No children should have to endure this.

8 Likes

Thread:

7 Likes

Yeah.
This is well BEYOND “Pick up that can.”

No joke- I’ve been dreaming since the day he was elected of pissing on his grave. I think his gravestone should be that golden toilet that was in the Guggenheim. Then let’s go a step further and install a small building around it with pictures of all of his atrocities inside on the walls, and make it a public toilet vented directly into his coffin.

To be clear, this is after he dies of natural causes in office of a heart attack from too many filet of fish.

2 Likes

"CASE STUDY

In the United States, 1944, an experiment was conducted on 40 newborn infants to determine whether individuals could thrive alone on basic physiological needs without affection. Twenty newborn infants were housed in a special facility where they had caregivers who would go in to feed them, bathe them and change their diapers, but they would do nothing else. The caregivers had been instructed not to look at or touch the babies more than what was necessary, never communicating with them. All their physical needs were attended to scrupulously and the environment was kept sterile, none of the babies becoming ill.

The experiment was halted after four months, by which time, at least half of the babies had died at that point. At least two more died even after being rescued and brought into a more natural familial environment. There was no physiological cause for the babies’ deaths; they were all physically very healthy. Before each baby died, there was a period where they would stop verbalizing and trying to engage with their caregivers, generally stop moving, nor cry or even change expression; death would follow shortly. The babies who had “given up” before being rescued, died in the same manner, even though they had been removed from the experimental conditions.

The conclusion was that nurturing is actually a very vital need in humans. Whilst this was taking place, in a separate facility, the second group of twenty newborn infants were raised with all their basic physiological needs provided and the addition of affection from the caregivers. This time however, the outcome was as expected, no deaths encountered."

12 Likes