Congress calls on Schneier to give it answers that the NSA won't

[Permalink]

At least those six Congresscritters are aware that whistleblowers (and confederates) are inherently more reliable in answering truthfully than the agency upon whom the whistle was blown.

4 Likes

Fucking shut down the NSA already.

9 Likes

So much theater without an audience. For crissakes, how are we supposed to vote for people representing us, who are voting on things for us, that we haven’t a clue about? How do they represent us, on our positions on policy, if the policy is an absolute secret? Even if all of congress knew everything, and these people obviously didn’t, how can we have an offshoot of government working independently without any input from citizenry who pay for it?

7 Likes

A good portion of the discussion over there is why they couldn’t meet with Schneier in a SCIF. Interesting stuff.

1 Like

It’s so much worse than that. Why do they approve funding for an agency when they don’t know what it is doing?

3 Likes

Because the agency knows everything that they (congress members) are doing?

4 Likes

More likely, the layers of secrets allows them to speak blandly about what they’re doing, knowing that congress was not elected for it’s intelligence.

Basically, you take your top secret information, feed it into a mass dilution device, and out comes public information. Although congress should have the security clearance, that doesn’t matter if the NSA/whoever goes out of their way to obfuscate the information.

Wow, misrepresentation via out of context quotes ahoy. Schneier said “…it’s extremely freaky that Congress has such a difficult time getting information out of the NSA that they have to ask me”, and “Surreal part of setting up this meeting…”.

On the meeting itself, he just says that it was “candid and interesting”. But I guess that’s too boring…

2 Likes

I am really, really glad that my Representative was there - one of the few bright points about living in Richmond, VA is we have a really stellar group of Congressmen. Between Rep. Bobby Scott, Sen. Tim Kaine, and Sen. Mark Warner, I feel kind of guiltily happy, compared to a lot of the rest of the country…

1 Like

Wait… are you saying that the NSA is giving us the homeopathic truth?

4 Likes

What I want to know is how the truth is succussed at the end of the dilution process.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.