Congressional candidate Brianna Wu explains Net Neutrality with cookies

I watched the video, no mention of download speed and it seems to me that it actually supports your view:

2 Likes

I’m willing to believe that she knows more about cybersecurity than I do. That is not a core part of my job, and it’s been a really long time since I actively hacked into systems.

Her metaphor, however, sucks.

How about some more bad metaphors?

F wants some food from B. B will give F some yummy cookies, but only one at a time, with a five second break. Unless they are Fnord brand cookies, because Fnord pays B a bribe, so F can get Fnord cookies faster than any other, unless they also pay a kickback, or F pays B as much as the kickback would have been.

Or B will give F as many carrots as he wants, because carrots are not as high in demand as yummy cookies are. But if F wants cookies at the same rate as he gets carrots, he needs to pay a bribe to B. Oh, and she’s going to open every box to make sure that it’s carrots inside and not cookies.

5 Likes

This topic is temporarily closed for 4 hours due to a large number of community flags.

This topic was automatically opened after 4 hours.

I think I have a better understanding on net neutrality thanks to that vid. It reminds me of when I was in college. Everyone in College pays their tuition somehow and so therefore everyone should be treated equally. If anyone submits a comic to the college newspaper then it should be published.

My dad used to tell me stories about a friend he had in College who created a great comic strip but could never get it published because the staff at the College paper gave preferential treatment to other comics instead. This really upset my friend but he kept trying over and over and over and over again to get his comic published, to the point where they pulled some some really dirty underhanded tricks on him.

Is that kind of how net neutrality works?

This video is a great primer on net neutrality.

I used to know a lot about net neutrality and cybersecurity but I forgot most of it due to a bicycle accident that left me with amnesia from which I have never been able to fully recover.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.