Connector Alignment Chart

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2017/10/16/connector-alignment-chart.html

7 Likes

Yeah, I guess F connectors can be a bit evil.

4 Likes

The parallel cable is upside-down! Aaauuugh!

11 Likes

1 Like

This is the first I’ve heard that USB-C is not the solution to all of our past USB problems. However the article appears to be be written from the perspective of an Apple user so I will take that verdict with a grain of salt. I realize not all of the issues are specific to Apple but Thunderbolt doesn’t exist in my world and that seems like a major part of the confusion.

Also he lost me on the need for different cables when using a hub. Every USB-C cable I’ve seen has USB-A on one end which will plug into a computer, charger, or hub.

I’m not sure why the headphone jack would be considered Chaotic Good. It’s been one of the most dependable connectors. If i had to change it i’d say it’s Neutral or Neutral good.

4 Likes

I guess it can go in any way round?

1 Like

Right, I’m not an electrical engineer, but how feasible is this as a potential solution?

First: collate all existing/proposed USB-C standards and organise them into as few logical groups/levels as possible. Distinguish by min/max power levels, data carrying ability, backwards-compatibility.

Second: designate standard descriptors for them using alphanumeric, coloured bands/dots (like resistors), braille, and whatever.

Third: Allow any cable or socket to be easily labelled according its type. Cables are easy as they can just have something on the cable at each end, or the plastic surrounding the connector. Ports are more difficult, but some kind of applique should be devisable.

Fourth: produce a ubiquitous cheap and portable device that can test and classify any cable and port, including for non-compliance and potential danger.

Fifth: make compliance with this a requirement of the USB-C standard.

2 Likes

How dare you apply logic to the problem?

4 Likes

14 Likes

Based on that chart, I’m going to assume whomever made it has really poor manual dexterity or impulse control and finds 1/8th inch TRS (AKA “headphone”) Chaotic Good because they often damage their cables connecting or disconnecting them.

I also wonder why only two types of audio connectors are in this chart or why audio connectors are there at all?

2 Likes

sometimes they are used for data, is my only guess

Sorry, sorry.

It’s Bill Gates and some Muslim immigrants’ fault! We didn’t have any problems with USB-C before 9/11.

1 Like

Have we forgotten the Great SCISI Wars of the pre-Aughts? So many rules, so much evil.

download

#LawfulEvilSkuzzy

20 Likes

Seems I just turned chaotic evil. Now I can’t use my phone charger for my Kindle anymore though, argh.

BTW whats there called a “nokia cable” is the off standard one. Apple actually followed the standard for TRRS where the innermost (“sleeve”) is for mic. The one labeled “headset” isn’t non standard, its for 1/4th inch cables and shouldn’t be on the 1/8th inch cable chart.

Or at least thats how I remember from when I had to know that stuff on sight to grab the right audio cables.

2 Likes

I think the Serial cable has been miscategorized and probably should be at least Neutral Evil. Have you ever tried finding a serial console cable that actually works with whatever serial-console-enabled device you happen across? Every one seems to require it’s own unique random pinout.

1 Like

Chaos, but good. I think he nailed that one.

There was no place on the chart for “pure abstract evil”

8 Likes

Likewise ps/2 was left off because it transcends foolish mortal conceptions of morality

7 Likes