Connector Alignment Chart

I would change the label on the Neutral Good one from “phono” to “RCA.” The pictured connector is yellow which is typically used for composite video (along with red and white RCA connectors for right and left audio channels).

These are all connectors you are or were more likely to encounter connecting in or out of a computer, the RCA connector would be to connect to older TVs and projectors.

4 Likes

Is there an Alignment Chart Alignment Chart yet?

8 Likes

Because of too many experiences where rotating the headphone connector in the port gets the left or right channel to come back. Or pushing in/pulling out slightly to get anything. I don’t know where the actual problems are but manipulating this connector is where I’m at.

1 Like

and then there is the raspberry pi , which might match the ipod av cable , or not - - -

OMG Paralell Port (Neutral Evil) deserves TORTURE Evil. Who the hell thought normal people have digits small enough to tighten and loosen those unholy small screws in awkward small spaces?

1 Like

Like RS-232, HDMI, VGA and so on and so on and so on?

2 Likes

No, it’s great! You get to bust out your soldering iron and spend the day making custom cables. You can solder those 7 pin RS-232 connectors without a microscope. That’s a win in my book.

They’re in the correct alignment, but many spells within that domain require a material component, and casting time.

2 Likes

Ah, I was wondering why you didn’t list HDMI!

5 Likes

Pardon…Dave here Washington Post…I haz question?

What would WIRELESS connection be?

asking for a friend.

1 Like

I spent two hours wondering why my new 144hz monitor wouldn’t do 144hz at 1440 lines, fooling with driver settings, nvidia this and that, various alleged windows hacks and problems and so on. Then sitting there in the quiet calm of an early fall afternoon, staring bleakly into the middle distance, I thought, “I used the HDMI cable instead of DisplayPort, didn’t I” and I didn’t even have to look to know I did.

5 Likes

Crime against humanity is where that falls under.

1 Like

That symptom likely speaks to a damaged tab within the socket itself that no longer makes sufficient contact with the plug at the appropriate tip-ring-sleeve points.

Or the solder points within the plug itself are damaged… Which leads me to believe that for the “Spelljammer” version of Rob’s chart, TS guitar cables lacking strain relief prominently feature in the “chaotic evil” box.

EDIT: Also, there may be oxidation on the contact points that reduce conductivity, depending on the conductor materials involved. Back when I DJed, there would be times when a turntable stylus might seem to be crapping out. In a pinch and in the absence of a brush, one could remove the stylus, lick the contact points, rethread, and keep going. Probably the equivalent of blowing out NES cartridges like a mad chromatic pan flautist.

1 Like

In the audio-only version, I’d like to also submit the ADAT/Toslink protocol/connector as Neutral Evil: good when they were working for you, but a gamble getting those damn things to stay where you want them. Terrible port design in my experience that can cause catastrophic session failure if a loose connection is caught too late.

XLR is a time-tested audio connection… though the connector itself can also carry digital audio and intercom signals. Might be big, but does the job.

Same like BNC - although these days more likely to find SDI on them than composite analog video, and you still don’t know if the female connector on the back of equipment is input or output without a label.

4 Likes

Not sure if I would call Firewire lawful good.

1 Like

Unfortunately, someone decided it would be lovely for battery chargers too. Nothing gold (plated) can stay.

1 Like

I can see one problem with that:

2 Likes

Seriously. Serial pinouts were and are pure evil. Every single video and control device I used in the 90s had its own god damned pinout. I can’t be the only person to still have a home-made jumper board laying around in my toolbox in case I ever need to maker a pin-to-pin adapter again to make some device talk to another one…

4 Likes

Wouldn’t the HDMI cable, the cable that basically made HDCP a thing, be the definition of Lawful Evil?

2 Likes

IEEE-488.

On a Tetronix 405x or Commodore PET. Just plug the plugs into the plugs.