A $7 Lightning cable that's Apple MFi Certified

[Permalink]

3 Likes

I have the same issue regarding my kids and the “Mine’s lost, can I have yours?” pattern. I wouldn’t characterize Apple changing the connector as a “fuck-you-that’s-why” move, though. The new connectors are much better than the old ones, and much better than anything that has been part of the mini/micro/whatever USB fiasco. Apple have changed mobile device connectors precisely once since I bought my first iPod about 9 years ago. I see it as a worthwhile improvement.

They have also changed the Macbook “magsafe” connectors just once since I bought my first MBP about 8 years ago. Not as clear to me that there’s any upside to that, though. Likely more of a FYTW move.

3 Likes

Came here to say the same thing. I love lightning, and I think I’ll like USB C even more.

If it’s so good, why have they abandoned it?

the next iphone is going to be USB C

People want thinner computers (at least according to the manufacturers), and the old MagSafe connector was too thick to fit in the current crop of Air machines. Same reason that they don’t have all those other industry-standard connectors that I consider indispensable, such as Ethernet and now USB!

2 Likes

I’m sure that Apple will still find a way to make the phones refuse to take a charge from Samsung chargers. They are nothing, if not resourceful.

2 Likes

Well that’s an odd thing. My Apple poertable devices currently take charge from any USB ports that supply power, be they on the side of my Dell laptop or third-party chargers. If Apple move to USB-C on the devices, why would you expect this interoperability to change? (Admittedly, my iPad tells me its not charging if I hook it to a low-power output but it charges (slowly) anyway.)

I can recall Motorola locking down their phones so that they wouldn’t charge from a computer USB unless Motorola Software was installed.

1 Like

I’m surprised that wasn’t covered by some Apple patent…

1 Like

And do these Apple devices require 2.1 Amps?

USB-C should solve this problem…

Yeah, one change in the last 10 years for the laptops and one for the iOS devices is not exactly a fuck you move, especially when the new connectors have clear benefits (smaller, thinner, reversible). And the new MacBooks are going to an industry standard!

It drives me nuts how some Apple criticisms never die, no matter how outdated or wrong.

3 Likes

It drives me nuts how some Apple criticisms never die, no matter how outdated or wrong.

You really need to get out of that Walled Garden and stop drinking the koolaid.

1 Like

Do you disagree that this particular criticism is silly? Or do you really believe that the frequency with which Apple changes charge/sync cables is a money grab, instead of technically motivated?

I’ve made no other assertions about specific criticisms of Apple that I find outdated or wrong, so either you agree with me or you don’t. I think trying to paint me as some sort of Apple zealot based on my previous comment says a bit more about your mindset than mine.

3 Likes

Huh? Odd thing to say. It was a choice Motorola made. What could that possibly have to do with Apple?

Ugh, seriously? Aren’t you at least a little bit embarrassed by this?

1 Like

I’m embarrassed by nearly everything I write. Yet, I keep coming back for more humiliation.

1 Like

The Fruit’s tendency to spawn proprietary peripherals, to put authentication chips even to stupid otherwise entirely passive cables?

So pronounced tendency that when somebody else does it too, it associates The Fruit anyway?

1 Like

There were at least 5 different kinds of tiny USB port that went in and out of style while Apple was using the dock connector for nine years. Seriously, look at this chart and tell me Apple is the one making fuck-you-that’s-why connector changes.

4 Likes

If you want an Apple-certified cable with a little bit more heft, the Amazon Basics models cost a couple bucks more but are considerably heavier.

Walled Garden! koolaid!

::sigh:: Android fans (Fandroids ?) … the knee jerk Linux fans of the 2010s…

2 Likes