Contact lens applicators and misappropriated memories

Originally published at: Contact lens applicators and misappropriated memories | Boing Boing

3 Likes

They still are, I’ve got scleral lenses, but they are for correcting for more complicated things than myopia. e.g. keratoconus

7 Likes

They are also for people with both strong astigmatism and very high myopia.

8 Likes

Yeah, but they’re way more comfortable than what I’ve heard about the non-gas-permiable ones.

And I’ve totally done the same thing as in the TikTok.

5 Likes

“Excuse me, mate, are you using the memory?” the Memory Misappropriator.

3 Likes

Been there, done that, never got the t-shirt but freaked out friends.
So I had that going for me which was nice.

3 Likes

That’s also me. (The keratoconus causes the astigmatism.)

4 Likes

Yep…been there. I wore hard lenses since I was 8 and often had to use the suction if the lens got stuck in a strange corner of my eye. Then I had my detached retina and my cataracts removed and I no longer wear contacts even though I still have major problems. Eyes are amazing things when they work properly (and even when they don’t).

4 Likes

The lesson hidden in both the stories is that human memory is, like, 80% garbage. The cruelty is that we are all 100% convinced of the accuracy of our own memory. Every time you recall an event, you change it. Not intentionally, but you do. Your brain modifies the facts to fit current beliefs and/or the details shift randomly over time. When we witness an event, we only see about half of it, but our brain fills in made up details to make the picture complete because that’s what our brains do. So even if we do accurately recall what our brain stored, it was probably half made-up at the time. Usually both things happen, so we’re half-remembering half-made-up events.

In a perfectly rational world, eyewitness testimony probably wouldn’t even be admissible in court. It’s been shown over and over again to be absolutely terrible as evidence. People can’t remember a damn thing correctly, even very soon after an event. Unfortunately it’s often all we have for evidence, but at the very least we should never be sentencing people to death based on it. Unfortunately, that happens all the time in places that still have capital punishment.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.