Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Probably not. No.

7 Likes

Hand sanitizer is fairly readily available locally again (for now?), but I still check with friends and family when I see it in the store, usually near the registers and buy the allotted two bottles if someone in my small circle needs it.

Disinfecting wipes are still like gold. I have a small stash from my MIL going to Costco’s senior shopping hour every Wednesday. Here the resupply must arrive on Tuesday nights, and they sell out immediately. She divvies them up mostly among the vulnerable people in the extended family. I’ve also made my own with paper towels soaked in a Lysol solution and tucked into a gallon ziplock for on the go.

IF N95s were available, this would be my grocery shopping kit:

(Hanging insulation back in the Beforetimes)

12 Likes

Further suggestions that this thing is still smarter than we are. I am seriously hoping for faulty testing rather than actual reinfection, but as more reports accumulate, it is concerning. Necessary proviso that the plural of anecdote is not data, of course.

21 Likes

People who don’t wear a mask have lower cognitive ability, says study

27 Likes

Back in March I started looking for maintenance parts for my half face respirator, and it was already too late. But then a few weeks ago I was able to find a decent selection at that really really large vendor that I really really hate having to ever use. Around $50 with P100 filters, many/most of which also handle organic vapors and similar.

3 Likes

25 Likes

THIS IS SUPER FUCKED UP.

23 Likes

Well that’s not good.

“As of July 15, 2020, hospitals should no longer report the Covid-19 information in this document to the National Healthcare Safety Network site,” the C.D.C.’s system for gathering data from more than 25,000 medical centers around the country…

Health and Human Services database that will receive new information is not open to the public, which could affect the work of scores of researchers, modelers and health officials who rely on C.D.C. data to make projections and crucial decisions…

19 Likes

Yep. But also, tracks with 2020.

19 Likes

See above, sounds like they’re having to back off.

8 Likes
10 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

Americans don’t have a lock on bad behaviour:

“Clearly KFC is popular during the lockdown,” Nugent said. “A person ordered KFC and refused to leave the restaurant where they sat to eat. Police attended and the person still refused to leave.”

“We’re finding people in cupboards. We’re finding people in garages. Please stop,” Nugent said.

12 Likes

In the linked cartoons, all Andy Marlette’s needed was a tiny “Southern White House,” with 45 inside/along for the ride. :wink:

3 Likes

Let us wait and see how long it takes for this to result in “a very great improvement in our numbers.” Now they have to figure out how to suppress the footage from ICU’s and ED’s of people dying in hallways and stashed in refrigerated trailers, but I am sure someone is working on that. Oh, wait, sending the National Guard into hospitals! Oh, we are soooo fucked.

27 Likes

Chris, I start to worry about you. You ok?

Personally, I’m still hoping that this is not going to be the end of it, and the current admin will either change it course or put under so much pressure that the key figures get stuffed.

Also, I hope that the effects of the policies and decisions will be less bad than we expect.

It’s much easier for me to say that, from my hopefully safe distance. But if the community here on BB can give you any support, pray tell.

16 Likes

Fortunately, they don’t control the press - and the crappy performance of the administration has led too many groups watching and waiting to shout from the rooftops about shady moves like this. Still, we need more alternatives to what we’ve been getting so far from the government. Seeing all those Lincoln Project videos makes me wonder if an organization with funds could be convinced to do something similar to keep 45 and his cronies in check on the coronavirus front.

A series of public information and advice forums & programs (featuring medical professionals) could go a long way toward undermining the current misinformation and manipulation game. Just a daily dose of sanity and simple steps to follow could keep people moving forward in a responsible manner. If the current administration attempts to stop that effort, publicizing that in a way that casts them in the worst possible light is enough to make them back off. We only need to keep it up for six months. That’s an achievable goal.

16 Likes
14 Likes

If you want to win don’t drink against a Finn

5 Likes