Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

The lack of leadership and general fuckery continues

16 Likes

I disagree. The anti-mask and anti-lockdown individuals in my area seem more like bullies than anything else. They target workers in stores and tend to pick on those they see as smaller, weaker, or less privileged than themselves. The police only arrest them when they do something so bad it cannot be ignored, and the rest of the time they get a warning or a citation. If there was a mandatory lockdown with strong enforcement against their behavior from the police or military, I doubt they would do anything violent to stop it because these folks tend to be pro-police.

OTOH, we see folks of their ilk coming out with baseball bats, hammers, and guns to intimidate, threaten, and attack unarmed BLM protesters (or random BIPOC in public places). These folks violently defend statues and white supremacy. The police let them get away with it. If we ever see the police turn against violent white supremacists and start locking them up, that’s when we’ll see if the anti-mask/pro-business folks are willing to go to war to defend their beliefs. My guess is most will crawl back to their homes to fume and complain about the attacks on their rights and freedom.

18 Likes

I dunno, I hope you are right. The last shutdown there were folks with assault rifles strolling around the Michigan capital building. Another shutdown would be far worse, I think.

4 Likes

Maybe the shipments will mostly go to swing states?

5 Likes

To much risk. Trump would need their electoral votes, in writing, before he added them to the list.

4 Likes

That was my first thought, but in the article it says CA got a decent amount, NC got none at all. Makes no sense. I suspect general incompetence.

15 Likes
18 Likes

So now sending your kid to school is essentially Russian roulette? Excellent. “Some of these schools are loaded. Some are not. Pay your money and take your chances!”

18 Likes
9 Likes
19 Likes

Right on schedule. This should be fun…

18 Likes

Critical infrastructure.

THURSDAY, AUGUST 20, 2020

What A Country

Plague is depleted our prison slave labor force, which was tasked with vital functions.

Last month, the state said it expected to have about a dozen fewer inmate crews available for wildfire duty, partly because thousands of inmates have been released because of virus risks. The total inmate population is down 9% from a year ago, according to Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation data.

Last month, the state had to place a dozen inmate camps on lockdown after a major COVID-19 outbreak at a Lassen County prison where prisoners are trained on fire.

by Atrios at 11:30

14 Likes

:man_facepalming: Gotta love this system…

8 Likes

5 out of 6 russians say that Russian roulette is a safe game!

17 Likes

This visualisation isn’t perfect, e.g. in Croatia, only two of the NUTS3 regions are classified as risk areas (as of today). But it gives a visual impression which is helpful, all in all.

6 Likes

it’s not like anybody is unemployed right now or anything.

if we’d been paying people all along, it would be no problem to expand the program and the number of workers

13 Likes

Can I think of an industry or project where this phrase would not apply? :thinking:

Nope. :weary:

14 Likes

“ Indoor Dining Update: Health Commissioner Dr. Thomas Farley announced today that the City will permit indoor dining to resume effective September 8, 2020, the day after Labor Day. Indoor dining will be permitted under specific restrictions that are largely consistent with indoor dining restrictions statewide.

The City’s new indoor dining restrictions include, but will not be limited to, the following:”

9 Likes

I guess this is directed at the weather cooling? Certainly not at Covid going away…

6 Likes

They’ve gotten the #’s down to about 100 a day. Positivity rate of 3.6%.

They’ve been talking a few weeks about reopening at that case level - 100 or so - I don’t think it has anything to do with the weather.

8 Likes