Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

while i’ve never heard that, i’m definitely no health expert. it’s entirely possible that in some places it does. if you find the bit you saw to pass along, that’d be interesting info.

4 Likes

It’s where’s Waldo or Wilma for the COVID-19 age:
ETA the Wilma. (Thanks @subextraordinaire for the gender check. I hadn’t played yet.)

18 Likes

Found her? She is maskless with gray pallor.

Are there two? The other weepy person?

ETA: Yes, they are both there.

9 Likes

New FDA spokesperson Emily Miller is a pro-Trump sycophant who spreads COVID-19 misinformation

https://www.mediamatters.org/emily-miller/new-fda-spokesperson-emily-miller-pro-trump-sycophant-who-spreads-covid-19

8 Likes

Sorry about that. The first person I found was a woman so I wrote her thinking it was a trick question.

Then I looked up and saw the two people and I was thinking, duh! You’re supposed to look for these two characters. :face_with_hand_over_mouth: (I feel like a dolt.)

8 Likes

SANJAY GUPTA (GUEST): Well, you know, so this task force meeting where this apparently was discussed was last Thursday. So I was asking Dr. Fauci about this, and he said this – I’m going to read this because I want to make sure I get it right. He said “I was under general anesthesia in the operating room last Thursday. Was not part of any discussion or deliberation regarding these new testing recommendations.” And he went on to say “I’m concerned about the interpretation of these recommendations. I’m worried it will give people the incorrect assumption that asymptomatic spread is not of great concern. In fact, it is.”

So, Jake, he wasn’t part of the deliberations or discussions. And this is a problem, right? I mean, because Admiral Giroir was just asked about this on a briefing and he said Dr. Fauci signed off on this. He wasn’t part of these discussions. He was in the operating room for one thing. But also he doesn’t agree with this in the sense that he thinks that this may give people the incorrect assumption that asymptomatic transmission’s no big deal. It is a big deal and we can talk about that. But this is worrisome. I mean, this is a clear schism, clear difference. We heard one thing from Admiral Giroir on the task force and now we’re hearing something different from Dr. Anthony Fauci.

17 Likes
8 Likes

It probably doesn’t help that the data is being handled by a private contractor, whose involvement is somehow, while serving the US Government, hidden behind NDA.

13 Likes

Shocking? It would be shocking if she were not.

11 Likes
13 Likes

Well, yes. Someone does.

https://amp.cnn.com/cnn/2020/08/26/politics/fauci-coronavirus-cdc-testing/index.html

“I am concerned about the interpretation of these recommendations and worried it will give people the incorrect assumption that asymptomatic spread is not of great concern. In fact it is,”

“I was under general anesthesia in the operating room and was not part of any discussion or deliberation regarding the new testing recommendations”

ETA: @ChuckV beat me to it. However: repeating ain’t a bad thing, methinks.

12 Likes

They are going to keep the pressure on until they can cut every asymptomatic person out of the statistics. You can hear the tiny wheels in Trump’s brain spinning, imagining the positivity numbers dropping bigly right before the election.

He’ll give his “well, it’s going away” speech, and be re-elected just in time for the next massive deathwave to hit in full force. At that point in time, I am not sure I would want to be him. He might want to build those walls around the White House taller.

7 Likes

Based on a non-representative sample, I think you are overly… erm… optimistic?

4 Likes

We’ve only had one city with mass graves so far. If it becomes two or three New York level outbreaks in every state you might see a knee-jerk of historical proportions.

8 Likes
9 Likes

What was he under general anesthesia for? :disappointed: :sob:

11 Likes

nodule on his vocal cord. Not a biggie, but tough to “sign off” on a new policy under GETA!

13 Likes

Hope it’s no indication of bigger problems…

12 Likes

Likewise. Very much likewise! :pray:

12 Likes
12 Likes