Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Same shit, different day/country/health care system.

No conspiracies needed, assholes will move to take advantage of anything.

15 Likes

Itā€™s a very perverse and british thing whereby the higher-ups, whether that be the police, military, government, close ranks and look out for each other. The victims are lied to, demonised, ignored for years, decades even, until maybe just maybe 30 years down the line they get the respect and justice they deserved back then. Not that any examples spring to mind right nowā€¦

10 Likes

Thereā€™s no need for a cover-up if you deny everything even mildly uncomfortable for you and your friends from schoolā€¦

5 Likes

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/gop-guv-tearfully-pleads-anti-maskers-to-dial-up-your-empathy-and-end-political-divide

14 Likes

Haha yeah, not what Iā€™d expect from a place with that name.

I dig the hat. Iā€™d totally wear that.

7 Likes

20 Likes

This is the NYT front page for tomorrow.
1000 single-sentence obituaries.

28 Likes

Stolen from:

But good, in the saddest possible way. 30 September 11ths, and rising without end in sight.

21 Likes

Just one big fucking sigh every day (more than one, really) and just doing your best.
Thatā€™s it.
Whatever it takes to get through.

15 Likes

Mobile phone data tracking for virus control.
This might be worth a thread of its own.

15 Likes

Died for the economy and 45ā€™s re-election.

Iā€™d like to see someone literally cram these pages down his fucking throat.

16 Likes
28 Likes

Some more anecdotal information out of southside San Diegoā€¦

I crossed over today to exchange some currency today. The peso is weak against the dollar right now and Iā€™m making physical trades while there is a one peso spread between Tijuana and San Diego.

While there, I decided to see if Hobby Lobby (I know, I know) had some painting panels on sale. IMHO, I got caught up in a shitshow. So many people wearing their masks with noses uncovered. Most people practicing social distancing, but also touching every decorative item in sight. I just tried to become as skinny as possible and not touch anything but my own purchases.

One checkout lane over, a woman was pushing the hydrochloroquine line to anyone who would listen, and some people were really listening.

We are so fucked when re-opening progresses further.

23 Likes

Dignity is definitely a big Republican no-no.

7 Likes

Ugh. My mother, aunt, sister and 93-year-old grandmother were out for a walk near my grandmotherā€™s home and some Covidiot approached them and started berating them for wearing masks. Got right up in their faces and started lecturing them about C02 or some crap.

Wouldnā€™t even back off when my sister (a physician, who surprisingly manages to wear PPE every goddamn day without succumbing to CO2 poisoning) asked her to keep her distance, just went off on some tangent about chemtrails. My mom had to wheel my grandmother away just to get her out of spittle range.

Iā€™ve been watching my country marching relentlessly into the Dumbening for years and years now but I still feel at a total loss for understanding how we got here.

31 Likes

We do (or did) have a thread on mobile phone contact tracing, though of course this is different.

I think this video has been posted here before, though it is still relevant as we open up again. The thumbnail is a little misleading, the light areas in the thumbnail do not represent the spread from Ft. Lauderdale. That picture shows up at the end of the video:

Still pretty bad.

4 Likes
4 Likes
3 Likes

I hear you, and the author. (Disability, however, is something others inflict on you, in my view. But I wonā€™t go off on that tangent.)

However, this is another example of journalists doing the wrong thing. Well intentions are not enough, they have to consider the consequences.

Iā€™ve been in West Africa during the H1N1 pandemic, which did not got out of hand due to very, very lucky circumstances. The discussions back then with my Burkina-bĆ© colleagues and superiors are giving me a very bad feeling now. They are as prone to misinformation, mental shortcuts, bullshit and conspiracy as you and me. And it doesnā€™t matter if they were educated at a Grande Ɖcole or on the streets of Ouahigouya. News of an ā€˜African cureā€™ will travel fast.

Pool testing, as mentioned in the piece, sounds interesting in the first impression. However, they test blood, so it is, again, an antibody test. Not useful for the infection, but telling us weeks after an infection if the immune system shows a specific response.

I canā€™t comment on Senegalā€™s promise. Sadly, I am convinced they donā€™t have the infrastructure to support severe cases. And make no mistake, their case numbers are terribly undereported.

8 Likes

In Switzerland, where immunologists have proposed that mass vaccinations could take place as early as October, 20% of people questioned said they would not be willing to be vaccinated. In Austria, vaccine scepticism was similarly rife, with 18% of those questioned saying they would reject vaccination.

8 Likes