Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Doug Dicey isn’t murdering enough and he must be stopped!

11 Likes

Why is nobody with an actual voice out there screaming about the fact that Reopening Fever is just an excuse to try and deflect blame for destroying the economy?

Coronavirus didn’t destroy your business, Doug Ducey did.

14 Likes
17 Likes

26 Likes

The misinformation being shared by friends and family — intelligent people, including some who are even healthcare workers- is maddening. The conspiracy theories have gotten worse, they even feel bizarrely personal. The hate from people was the major reason I pulled back from sharing on social media. If I had cancer, would friends question if it was real or advise me how to treat it based on one video they watched? Would they refuse to wash their hands or wear a mask? How is this different?

21 Likes

That was a sad read :frowning: and makes me not want to mingle with anyone outside my household for a long, long time.
Up ‘til the last one, their reactions to Trump getting the virus are all so sad. They had this spark of hope that now, finally, he would take it seriously and maybe they would get some relief…

15 Likes

It’s bad enough that 45 set up a scenario where so many who have “recovered” now have what insurers will call pre-existing conditions. Based on the latest figures, there are about 8.7 million counted as “recovered.” Not sure how many of them have long-term issues.

If he goes ahead with his plan to repeal the ACA and leave even more people (approx. 23 million) with no health insurance at all, I have to wonder which of his cronies are heavily invested in insurance firms that plan to offer terrible coverage at higher rates:

20 Likes

15 Likes
13 Likes

Why not? They’ve bought (and voted) for stupider shit.

Apropos of nothing, I wonder if Cowboy Bebop has recently been dubbed into Russian…

12 Likes
FRIDAY, OCTOBER 16, 2020

Up Up And Away

There was a time when one could see some degree of Trump sycophancy by Red State governors as a clever ploy to get the necessary goodies to fight Covid. Kiss ass, get the PPE and ventilators. Gross, but you get it.

But the evidence that most of them believe their own bullshit and/or are happy for the great culling to just take their people to the Good Place is pretty strong. What’s going on in South Dakota is…bad.

Left to mayors to just beg.

The mayors of South Dakota’s largest cities have written an open letter to the citizens of the state, asking that they do their part to stop the spread of COVID-19. The letter, signed by 16 mayors including Sioux Falls Mayor Paul TenHaken and released through the South Dakota Municipal League, says they “have come together to bring you a united message concerning the COVID pandemic in our state.”

Absent is the sociopathic governor.

by Atrios at 14:08

17 Likes
7 Likes

Won’t someone think of the scores?

Really?

12 Likes

For certain definitions of “ready”.

Also in that article: penalizing labs for slow turnaround just sounds like a call to also (fucking Google keyboad, I have no idea what my original phrase was here) quality control. Am I wrong?

Maybe it was “call to axe”?

10 Likes

There seemed like a word missing. I’m guessing at what it was.

10 Likes

Suboptimal? Disaster in the making? Fucking short-sighted assholery? Any of those work.

14 Likes

See you on Zoom.

Dear [Neighborhood Elementary School] families,

I hope you have enjoyed your Fall break. We are looking forward to a great 2nd quarter starting on Monday, Oct. 19th. See you on Zoom at 8:30 am.

By hook or by crook, it looks like the in-person-hybrid-part-time-temperature-taking-whatevs nonsense is out for at least another month.

13 Likes
16 Likes
15 Likes

Treat any of thess scoring tools with caution. They are statistically quite accurate, but at the individual level they are much less useful. Less “predicting who will get a severe case” and more “adjusting the odds more precisely.” To the bookkeeper, that makes a difference. At bedside, it is just another bit of data to use.

20 Likes