Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Unfortunately, too many of the vocal minority are in power.

11 Likes

Perhaps, but their minority of support is dwindling, and some of them are scared enough now for things to happen: Ducey was trying to suck up hard to Trump just a week ago, now he’s had to cave to the cities in facemasks.

Still, if the kids don’t come out to vote on November, none of this will matter.

12 Likes

It will become harder and harder for most people to maintain social distancing guidelines—even if they want to—as governments and private companies decide to return to business as usual.

It’s difficult enough keeping a family at home when your employer and your kid’s school are doing everything they can to support distance working and distance education. It becomes nigh impossible when those institutions say “OK, that’s enough of that. Everybody come back now.”

23 Likes

Hopefully, people continuing to wear masks and wash their hands frequently will make a difference. No employer should attempt to prohibit that*. With teachers refusing to come back to schools and many daycare centers closing, educational institutions and workers with children might need to find other solutions in the short term.

Sometimes, it seems the only way to stop the pro-business leaders would be a spike in cases that cannot be hidden or ignored. If the voices of reason cannot successfully push for changes in policy after that, then I’ll agree we’re all screwed until next year. However, that spike hasn’t happened yet.

*If I worked for a company that wouldn’t allow me to wear a mask, I’d have to find another job. I had the same mindset working for companies that tried to get me to risk my life and drive to the office during snowstorms, etc
 They can ask, and I can say “Hell no.” Would it put me at risk financially? Sure. Still, I’d rather not be dead because I followed the demands of a boss who would replace me in a heartbeat and forget my name shortly after that.

13 Likes

Even a couple of new data points can help make a chart less ambiguous.

Second wave incoming.

12 Likes

(Slightly sloppy) AFP Summary:
Mild virus cases may bestow far lower immunity: study
of this article
Clinical and immunological assessment of asymptomatic SARS-CoV-2 infections
Usual caveats, small sample, rapid turnaround, Nature Medicine Letters, so not exhaustively reviewed

From the press article:

Danny Altmann, a 
 professor of Immunology at Imperial College London 

Altmann said it was “an important and potentially worrying point” that many patients in the study showed a significant decline in antibody levels in just two months.

Meanwhile, back at the ranch; fairly sure that uptick in U.S. cases would pass a decent stats test for significant.
USA_Case_Rate_20200621
Not keen on a family member travelling through U.S. next week on her way home
 not keen at all

17 Likes

Students and administration at a high school decided to hold a ‘BLM protest march’ in which they all just happened to be wearing cap & gown and weren’t carrying protest signs, and their graduation ceremony occurred. This was to get around the fact that they had requested, and been TURNED DOWN, for permission to hold an in-person graduation ceremony. So they did this instead:

10 Likes

Yeah, co-opting a justice movement so you can have a sneaky party and defy publichealthrules
 meanwhile how many Black and Brown kids don’t get to have graduation at all, and not just because of a pandemic?

That’s pretty much the definition of entitlement right there.

29 Likes

Hopefully based on current information and not just blowing the dust off of 1930s research, and without interference from political sources (Trump!) either.

12 Likes

23 Likes
6 Likes

Still no to the Swedes

The Helsinki Swedish-language daily Hufvudstadsbladet carries a review of an interview with Interior Minister Maria Ohisalo published in the Swedish newspaper Svenska Dagbladet in which she said any decision to allow Swedes to enter Finland again will cover residents of all of Sweden.

Despite calls to open the order to Swedes in some areas, for example in the Tornio river valley, Finland will not go in for any special arrangements. The border issue has become particularly inflamed in Lapland where locals are used to free movement across the border.

Ohisalo stated that Finland is ready to help its western neighbour in every way possible, including the use of intensive care facilities and test capacity. “We are here for you,” she said in the interview.

Hufvudstadsbladet stated that the interview contained nothing more concrete about Finnish assistance in the fight against the coronavirus. “Instead, it is largely about the hurt feelings resulting from Finland not allowing most Swedes to come to Finland,” wrote Hufvudstadsbladet.

6 Likes

And hopefully not ignoring the fact that some of the studies are about N95 masks, and some are about masks with many layers of cloth, but that the masks most people wear have 2 layers of paper or cloth.

4 Likes
11 Likes
3 Likes

We’re still talking about the end of the buffet here
but I guess they’re all re-opened now?

We got some take-out from our favorite greasy-spoon breakfast place this weekend. When my wife went to pick it up all the staff were wearing masks, but since they’re “open” it was packed with customers, and since it’s a restaurant, none of them were wearing masks. It’s also a tiny little shack, so social distancing just isn’t an option. They just shouldn’t be open for dine in, outside seating isn’t really an option at 108°, but I suppose they have to be now. Won’t be ordering from there again for a while, I’m afraid.

11 Likes

If you are worrying about a second wave then you’ve definitely done a much better job than us.

Note: we’ve been told that a vaccine, optimistically, might be ready in 18 months. When was that counter started? If we say March, then we’ve got another year and three months to go. Something to remember every time we hear about “re-opening” and “flattening the curve” and “second wave”.

10 Likes
11 Likes

Possibly some rare good news:

(Based on looking at testing results from around 3000 people in Norway, some researchers here believe that common cold antibodies can give some resistance to Covid-19. Since almost everyone who gets a cold gets antibodies, and since those antibodies last 17 years, this could be better resistance than from the disease itself.)

5 Likes

No more Margaritaville?

At my enforced layover in LA on Saturday my son – whom I hadn’t seen in person almost a year – and I decided to chance breakfast out. Fortunately, we were able to get a reasonably isolated outside table, and there was a nice ocean breeze, but some of the restaurants we walked by were pretty packed inside and out.

4 Likes