Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

The toll:

Now, we expect, overall, ~1% mortality, suggesting around 57 million people worldwide have had the virus.

Like the Iraq War, I’d also like to see a count of people permanently damaged by the virus. That’s quite possibly an even bigger story.

15 Likes

It’s the same thing we’ve known (& actually tried, sort of, in some places) since February!

From the article:

Municipal officials say they have traced, tracked, tested and isolated aggressively to halt the spread of infection

3 Likes

Apparently, he wasn’t joking. What a maroon!!

17 Likes

But in 24 hours the useless news media will be racing back to get quotes from all the administration liars who previously told them “it was just a joke, of course!”. Same as the last time.

Honestly, my respect for journalists is lower than my respect for politicians at this point. Why not just lie constantly and stupidly?

4 Likes

I think the media just cannot wrap their collective head around an administration that lies constantly and does not care if it gets caught. They seem to keep looking for the day when the sane people take over. Ain’t happening before 1/21/21, guys. Just deal with the facts and ignore the lying assholes in DC. No air time for any of them. Not that this will happen, but it should.

19 Likes

He’s also preemptively removed the excuse that he’s joking from any future defenses too, since his “I don’t kid” is presumably a maxim.

Not that it’ll stop anyone—himself included—from trotting it out the next time he says something flagrantly monstrous.

12 Likes

As they’ve had 20 goddamn years to figure it out.

But they’re not actually confused. It’s all part of the game.

6 Likes

That’s the joke.

6 Likes
16 Likes

From your mouth to this administration’s plugged ears.

8 Likes
5 Likes

Employer-based health insurance and its consequences have been a disaster for public health…

21 Likes

Some of us might be dead by then.

I think it is a good thing that as quality data gets generated, scientists sort through it for relationships. As long as there are no treatment or policy suggestions made based on the observations, I see no harm in making them public. I don’t think that anyone – even the Telegraph of NRK - is jumping to conclusions on this particular report; nobody is suggesting rhinovirus parties. The reason most of us are here on this thread is curiosity, and this latest story is relevant to that.

I’m if anything more concerned about studies, peer-reviewed or otherwise, that are being misinterpreted then used to justify policy.

2 Likes
7 Likes

I ordered Chinese take-out a week or so ago from my local go-to, and they’ve certainly adapted. Their dining room was closed, and it was phone-in orders only, no walk-ins. In the take-out section of their building, there was now an airlock for them to give you your food, and the credit card terminal was outside the airlock.

The food was good as ever, so at least that hasn’t changed.

18 Likes

Asian restaurants have been, unsurprisingly, the best about safety, at least here.

8 Likes

No way Fauci lasts much longer. He’s not only continuing to contradict Trump, now he’s confirming the existence of (and harm caused by) institutional racism.

20 Likes

Here’s the actual paper:

6 Likes

Finnish healthcare workers in the Tornio River Valley are worried about coronavirus spreading across the border from Sweden, writes daily Helsingin Sanomat, following a Midsummer outbreak in the Swedish municipality of Gällivare, which has so far reported 300 cases.

Kari Askonen , chief physician at Ylitornio’s health centre, told HS that commuters may spread the virus across the Finnish border. As of 11 June, Swedes with partners or vacation homes in Finland have been able to enter the country, despite restrictions on cross-border movement.

Ylitornio in Finland had no active cases before Midsummer, but now the municipality has one new confirmed case.

“We’re trying to figure out where it came from,” Askonen said.

Former PM “wrongly” feared coronavirus lawlessness

Former Prime Minister and European Commissioner and current head of state innovation fund Sitra Jyrki Katainen told Swedish-language daily Hufvudstadsbladet he had feared coronavirus would plunge Finland into anarchy.

“Discussions on social media had become so raw and violent. I imagined that the state of emergency combined with suffering caused by the epidemic could lead to people taking matters into their own hands. I was worried people would no longer respect the authorities or the rule of law. Luckily I was wrong,” he said.

7 Likes

Curiosity is probably to weak a word. Anxious, agitated, scared even. And angry. Do not forget about angry.

The story is relevant. It also reports on preliminary data, in a suggestive context, and combined with sloppy reporting.

As the doc put it:

8 Likes