Continuing coronavirus happenings (Part 1)

Trumpism is a tax on the stupid and a plague on everyone else.

18 Likes

Here’s what they’re counting on:

Eschaton

Monday, July 06, 2020

Therefore

Here we are.

White House officials also hope Americans will grow numb to the escalating death toll and learn to accept tens of thousands of new cases a day, according to three people familiar with the White House’s thinking, who requested anonymity to reveal internal deliberations. Americans will “live with the virus being a threat,” in the words of one of those people, a senior administration official.

“They’re of the belief that people will get over it or if we stop highlighting it, the base will move on and the public will learn to accept 50,000 to 100,000 new cases a day,” said a former administration official in touch with the campaign.

Take the low end. That’s one million every 20 days. 6 million by election day. And it doesn’t magically fade on election day, no matter what happens.

Atrios at 10:30

Now tell me you don’t believe that it will work.

14 Likes

The party of death

19 Likes

It certainly doesn’t for me. I saw the numbers on the news last night and it made me feel physically ill.

I don’t think it will work, either. Right now, there are a lot of people who don’t know anyone directly who has died or been severely ill. By November, the vast majority of Americans will lose someone close to them or know someone who has become permanently hobbled by the disease.

If that’s their strategy, reality is going to kick their ass. Again.

16 Likes

I hope so. “We” got bored with gun violence, we got bored with Iraq. We’ve never had much time for automobile deaths. The media is clearly bored with it, especially as they can’t write their “but Democrats” stories about it.

7 Likes

The husband wore an N95 mask out back in March, because we had two left in the 10-pack we bought for dust from home improvements. After a week or so, I read an article, went “duh!” and changed my paranoid focus to researching the best combination of fabrics and best-fitting patterns for cloth masks.
So, 3 months ago, we were the idiots wearing N95 masks from the hardware store. But that was 3 months ago.

14 Likes

35 Likes

It’s not going to matter if people get used to 100,000 a day care numbers, because that’s not how exponents work. 3 weeks after 100k/day, it’ll be 200k/day.
Keep your masks on, happy mutants.

Rant

And it’s not like we haven’t learned anything! We were all worried about the effects the protests would have on the virus, and it turns out little to none, because masks, outside, distancing if possible. That’s all we have to do. You can meet your friends! Outside is actually pretty nice in much of the country right now! So, indoor dining at restaurants = bad. Bars = dumb. Most of the rest seems pretty safe! (your level of comfort may differ, this is fine, if it works for you, stay inside and don’t see people! You’re one of the heros! No one will get sick from you!) Home fucking depot has this shit figured out. Yes, there’s a line outside, but once you’re in, you can move quickly through the aisles and I’ve never had such an easy time finding someone to ask a question. Costco is even better!
This virus isn’t superman. It’s got weaknesses that can be used to continue life until we beat it for good.

fear

And this is actually my current nightmare. Suppose vaccines don’t work on it. Suppose the only way to get rid of it is to deny it hosts, like New Zealand, South Korea and Iceland have managed to do. We are so unbelievably far from that in the US right now.

17 Likes

As I said, I don’t know their stories, so I don’t rush to frown. They might be immune-compromised and need the extra protection, or who knows what.

6 Likes

IOKIYAR. Again and again and again.

8 Likes
12 Likes
16 Likes

i work eight hours shifts at a grocery store. im trying to imagine having six masks to switch over the course of a day and successfully convincing all of my co-workers to do the same.

is this really a thing? or is it in the “hard to quantify” category?

12 Likes

masks are great again?!

:crying_cat_face:

14 Likes

Given that we’re going up here in GA, I’m not surprised, except for how long it took them to make that decision. I suspect that Anime Weekend Atlanta is next.

7 Likes

Aha! So the Chinese designed this to wipe out Neanderthaler descendants! /s

11 Likes

Unfortunately masks becoming saturated is really a thing, yeah. You need to replace and wash them regularly if you are wearing them for long periods of time, assuming you don’t have tons of disposable ones.

5 Likes

Guess which group has the highest Neanderthal DNA? Europeans. Whoops!

9 Likes

Except that this particular genome is most common in Bangladesh.

The variant is now common in Bangladesh, where 63 percent of people carry at least one copy. Across all of South Asia, almost one-third of people have inherited the segment.

Elsewhere, however, the segment is far less common. Only 8 percent of Europeans carry it, and just 4 percent have it in East Asia. It is almost completely absent in Africa.

8 Likes

Oh, I didn’t know about the concentration in Bangladesh! That is interesting. (Running through millennia of population migration in my head.)

6 Likes