Conversation Pits, once a popular feature of interior design, back in vogue

I imagine these would also do well as orgy pits in the very very poly SF bay area.

2 Likes

Ramps are required to have a 1 in 12 grade (or shallower) by ADA standards and be a minimum of 36 inches (three feet) wide. A conversation pit 2 feet lower than the surrounding floor would need to be at least 27 feet wide (enough room for the ramp, and a landing at the bottom).

6 Likes

Used to frequent a bar with pits. Fun, and you were below the smokosphere (those weren’t the days) , but hard on servers.

5 Likes

People in a pit, facing each other, and conversing. I thought jacuzzies filled that role.

2 Likes

Well one day I was sitting at home threatening the kids, and I looked out of the hole in the wall and sees this tank drive up and one of Dinsdale’s boys gets out and he comes up, all nice and friendly like, and says Dinsdale wants to have a talk with me. So he chains me to the back of the tank and takes me for a scrape round to Dinsdale’s. And Dinsdale’s there in the conversation pit with Doug and Charles Paisley, the baby crusher, and a couple of film producers and a man they called ‘Kierkegaard’, who just sat there biting the heads of whippets and Dinsdale sayd ‘I hear you’ve been a naughty boy Clement’ and he splits me nostrils open and saws me leg off and pulls me liver out, and I said my name’s not Clement and then he loses his temper and nails my head to the floor.

14 Likes

I’d rather have a fire pit:

17 Likes

Now that would be a nice conversation piece.
I’ll bring the marshmallows.

9 Likes

We don’t talk about conversation pieces

13 Likes

Those are for the outdoor fire pit; don’t want to get any 'mallow on the clean glass.

10 Likes

… that photo makes me think perhaps the point was to change the viewing angle out the window

5 Likes

Aww, mom…

And why isn’t it spelled marshmellow?

8 Likes

“Marshmallow was made from the mallow plant (Athaea officinalis) that grows wild in marshes. The term marshmallow was derived both from the native home of the plant and the plant name. Mallow is native to Asia and Europe and has been naturalized in America.”

Exactly what it says on the tin!

10 Likes

7 Likes

I had always wondered that.

TIL

5 Likes

Looks like we have been noticed…

6 Likes

Is it still a conversation pit if it’s just a space surrounded by raised floors?

3 Likes

Sitting in a jacuzzi, simmering in other folk’s juices…

I can’t help but be reminded of Jane’s Addiction’s album cover for Nothing’s Shocking.

“Um, Mary? Your…your…you might want to check your hair.”

10 Likes

It’s kind of jarring to see people of today in that setting. The clothes, the body postures, just don’t seem to fit. Backpack, phones, take-out coffee…

9 Likes

Fill it with balls for the kids.

8 Likes

That will rapidly turn into an open sewer/vomit pool. There is a reason they roped off and closed the huge ball pits at Disneyland’s Toontown! :nauseated_face: :face_vomiting:

Note that I’m not saying “Don’t do it” just be prepared

5 Likes