Cop Cabs: The NYPD has at least three fake taxis on NYC's streets

I hope the TLC’s response includes the words ‘forge your own damn credentials like you did last time then, and leave us alone’. This is a public trust issue; if I get in a cab, I want to know it’s an actual cab. Not a scam, not a con, but an actual person who plans to give me a ride. No different than if I install software and prefer that it’s actual software, and not a virus with a fake certificate. (I’m assuming that baconcabs don’t pick up passengers, but the proliferation of fake cabs and forged credentials still hurts public trust.)

Other than cabbie-abuse sting operations, one would assume they don’t bother picking up real fares.

As the addage, “only Nixon could go to China,” insinuates, only the NYPD can break the law - any law - with impunity in “service” of protecting the public.

With guardians like these, who needs enemies?

Though, on one hand, its good to know that if you’re drawing breath, you’re a suspect in the eyes of those forming the thin blue line.

1 Like

Lots of great quotes in that movie, but none of the good ones are on IMDB.

I’m just curious why so many people get heated/interested in this? They’re used for traffic enforcement. Any time I’ve actually seen one out in the wild they’re pulling over other cabs, jack holes who ran red lights, or ticketing food carts for permitting problems or blocking the side walk. Or simply driving a standard patrol. Hell the guys driving them are usually uniformed officers, so they aren’t trying particularly hard to hide that these exist and its been going on for decades. And its not materially different than any of the other unmarked vehicles used by every single police department all the time. Either the routine unmarked cars used by detectives, the more obscured unmarked cruisers used in highway traffic enforcement, or the myriad seized civilian vehicles used in actual undercover work and surveillance. If these cabs upset and worry you I have some very sad news about the number of white econoline vans with surveillance equipment in the back wandering around.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.