Cop fired and charged with assault after ripping mask off man filming traffic stop

Which is why I think getting into the person’s face like that without wearing a mask himself should be enough to convict him of assault.

13 Likes

Did you see the post about masks?

NO KISSING!!!

2 Likes

Anyone remember at the height of the AIDS crisis in the late 1980s, how people were discussing whether having sex while positive should be attempted murder (or manslaughter at least)? Dark days and I’m glad we came back from that, but COVID has us on that same road again.

4 Likes

I do remember those days. & how hard it was to persuade people to wear condoms & bleach needles. It took years of public education. A simple preventive effort like needle exchange was illegal for decades.

12 Likes

there’s no dilemma. that’s why pushing to defund the police makes the most sense, not giving them more money for bodycams, databases, and training

why does a gate guard have a badge and gun? are we living in the world of mad max? when was the last time he dragged that gun out of it’s holster and gunned down a metal gate terrorist?

this is exactly the insanity of school “resource” officers, and the mindset that the only thing that can stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun. it results in a kid having a bad day being violently arrested by a “good guy”

there’s no dilemma. we just need to stop answering all of our societal needs with a show of force

14 Likes

On that, we totally agree.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Also, separating the functions of law enforcement and criminal investigation. If a completely separate group is investigating, crimes by police are more likely to be investigated and prosecuted.

7 Likes

At this point, I think it’s worth asking. "What does a “good cop” look like? As opposed to, say, a good police precinct? Or a good professional culture?

When the supremes ruled that there is no constitutional duty fpr police to protect, it begs the question of why we have police in the first place?

3 Likes

Same as it’s always been.

11 Likes

Yeah. I mean, the people proposing this particular “solution” are those heavily invested in the system as it is, and they’re assuming that if the cops can police themselves for more egregious forms of misconduct, then all the problems will be solved. But that’s begging all sorts of questions…

1 Like

Yes, judiciary police and *law enforcement should be separated functions. The US prosecutor is different from the French ministère public or Italian Pubblico Ministero.
Having different armed forces that are responding to different executive branches could help to keep an eye.
Not that this will stop police brutality but serves to keep a tab on the worst offenders.

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=it&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fbologna.repubblica.it%2Fcronaca%2F2020%2F07%2F22%2Fnews%2Fpiacenza_caserma_sequestrata_e_oltre_sei_carabinieri_arrestati_accuse_di_spaccio_estorsione_e_tortura-262596355%2F%3Fref%3Dsearch

In this case Guardia di Finanza (US: ATF+IRS+USBP roughly) found that Carabinieri (US: military police+civilian police) were in business with drug dealers, and wiretapped the barracks to find what was happening.

2 Likes

For all this cop knew, he could have coronavirus without symptoms.

For all this cop knew, the man whose face he got inches away from before ripping his mask off could have a compromised immune system.

This cop was willing to possibly murder someone because his little feelings have been very badly hurt.

It’s not a few bad apples. It’s a bad orchard.

7 Likes

:musical_note: I hear 'em saying that this shit don’t ever happen in Seattle
And if it does it’s really just a couple bad apples
But if you’re keepin’ count you will see
This shit is not the apple, it’s the tree, it’s rotten underneath :musical_note:

6 Likes

From the photo, I’m getting a Jackie Gleason / Smokey and the Bandit vibe.

1 Like

This cop is 52 years old. One can only imagine the decades of thick-necked, hob-nailed fuckery he has had a part in that has not been recorded for posterity.

3 Likes

Or plants in his felony convictions

3 Likes

In my conception of investigators, I’m talking about a completely unarmed and diverse group prized for their ability to solve puzzles rather than crack heads. When an arrest needs to be made, it won’t be done with a no knock raid and a SWAT team but with technology, surveillance, and patience.

1 Like

They weren’t even hurt! He was standing 10s of yards away and could have just monitored and otherwise ignored the entirely legal filming!

1 Like

ACAB: “I don’t appreciate being addressed in coded language.”
Guy: “Wha?”