Cop who asked woman to wear lingerie when he responded to a hotel fire alarm gets his job back

This was the standout for me, as well. To put that in perspective, he’s getting paid the equivalent of a federal employee GS-14 or GS-15 (the top pay scale). That’s about what your highest paid rocket scientist earns working at NASA living in the same area.

5 Likes

Yes, absolutely. I guess what got me on this one over others is that most times the cop had some reason to initiate contact, however minor. And once legitimate contact is made, one could argue the chain of events that results to a shooting as either justified or not.

But from this story as written he just went into some random woman’s hotel room and started demanding she do various sexual things. He had no reason to be there talking to her about anything, much less trying to have sex with her.

yeah, he should have thought of that before he acted that way. Just like the people he used to apprehend, actions have consequences. I’m sure a lot of people in jail could argue that being in jail causes them harm. I don’t get this ruling, it sets a bad precedent to eliminate all suspensions and terminations.

2 Likes

If the judge has any integrity, he’ll do nothing when someone keys up his car while making direct eye-contact. After all, punishing the perp would hurt them. We can’t have that now can we?

1 Like

The judged ruled that there was too long of a delay before the city filed charges against him. I wonder how long was too long, and how was it calculated. Starting from the time he was suspended to the time he was fired. Or starting from the date the complaint was filed, to the time when he was suspended. And what would have been an acceptable time frame.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m a bit confused here. There’s a statute of limitations for sexual assault in New Jersey. It runs out… Sometime after the end of time:

http://research.lawyers.com/new-jersey/new-jersey-statutes-of-limitations.html

Why would the city have to worry about a time limit here? If someone is raped in NJ they criminal prosecution can arbitrarily long after the fact. But I’m not a lawyer, and there seems to be a hell of a lot of law lay-people don’t know about because of precedent.

They really should codify the precedent every once in a while so that people can know what the law actually is instead of just what’s written down. Ostensibly the written law is to protect us.

1 Like

And it’s not even the first time he’s been accused of this kind of thing:

He’d been through the IA process before. A motorist had said Sarni propositioned her for sex after a traffic stop, but the claim was not sustained, according to law enforcement officials.

This particular issue made my media-probably-not-reporting-right radar go off. When a news story makes it sounds like a judge said something that just makes no sense, there is a pretty good chance that they didn’t quite get it right or there is more nuance than is being let on.

On the other hand, when a news story makes it sound like a judge said that using your position as a cop to coerce sexual favours out of a woman shouldn’t be punished because the punishment would hurt the cop, there is a pretty good chance the judge was a crazy sexist asshole.

Of course, both could be true.

4 Likes

Considering the track record of the police in violently cracking down on the union activities of other unions (And the police union covering their asses for it) I’m sure other unions share your internal conflict…and come away with the same icky feeling.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.