Cops charged with murder after tasing man 50 times

15 Likes

There’s actually a section on that in the manual. In the section on Drive-Stun vs. probe deployment we find the following (emphasis mine):

Some of the advantages of probe deployment include:

• Due to automatic reflex actions, most subjects will struggle to separate from the TASER ECD when it is used in the drive-stun mode. Each time the ECD comes back in contact with the individual, another set of marks may be visible. Using the probes allows for one point of discharge.

I’m fairly sure that having a section on minimizing visual evidence in the operator’s guide for your pain compliance system constitutes a class 2 “Are we the baddies?” incident; but that’s what the manual says.

12 Likes

I really doubt that this is the first time that they massively tased someone, and I doubt that they’re alone in that.

Some makes of tasers keep firing logs. Those logs should be routinely checked, not just when someone dies. (Ah, but checked by who? There’s the rub.)

4 Likes

Hm.

4 Likes

Depraved?
Brutal?
Inhuman?
Vicious?
Murderous?
Malicious?
Cruel?

6 Likes

Thanks for the pictures of the Sadoweasel and his brutish chum.
Umm… was there any information about the ethnicity of the victim they tortured to death? Or is this detail so obvious in middle America that it goes without remark?
Forgive me for asking – American ways are not those of my country.

3 Likes

It is an entirely valid and fair question, especially about such an event in mid-America.

But the murder victim was white. The little town they’re from is 90% white, and only 0.25% black, so they would have to look pretty hard to find someone of predominately African ancestry to murder. Native Americans, by comparison, abound, but this particular time, their victim was white.

They probably are racist, but this particular time, their victim was not chosen for that reason.

6 Likes

This.

I’ve got a friend who applied to be a cop in Oakland CA. Took the test, then was denied because she scored too high on it…

Not “recruited to become a higher ranking officer/leader”, just flat out denied because she was out of the intelligence range they were looking for.

5 Likes

I believe that the toxicity of being an officer of a police department creates this bloody and sharp sacred/profane split for officers ideation of the world.

All things cop get jammed into the sacred; everything else is profane.

The nature of the work needs re-made. Humans can’t handle that level of toxicity day in day out.

4 Likes

But you repeat yourself

3 Likes

It’s not deadly. If used exactly as instructed, and if the person being Tased is in perfect health, and if everyone involved aren’t just unlucky that day. In this case the first point was completely pulverised and I don’t know about the other two.

5 Likes

Wow. I don’t understand this. Why would they be actively recruiting low performers unless they want them to make poor decisions?

In Norway (where I’m from) police education is one of the most competitive higher education courses you can apply for. (It’s a 3 year bachelor.) it’s mostly competitive due to a small number of yearly spots but it does drive the quality of the applicants up. They will also reject you if you have the wrong attitude.

10 Likes

More importantly, why is it illegal to run down the street naked and screaming?

3 Likes

Because they want them to make poor decisions that protect the wealth of the rich, and if they do, and get caught, they just fire them and backfill the spots with other people who will make poor decisions.

The police in this country are NOT here to protect citizens. They’re here to make arrests that result in convictions.

5 Likes

The DA needs to add torture to the charges. Even if Mr. Lakey hadn’t died, these cops should have been spending a lot of time in prison.

8 Likes

I’m a big fan of letting the courts do their job and punish cruel assholes. Rule of law is what stands between us and anarchy. Baser instincts want me to drive my fist in their stupid faces.

The US being a failed state in regards of a functioning justice system (esp. when cops are concerned) is what makes it even more ambivalent.

2 Likes

A pint glass of soy sauce can put a person in a coma. Quantity matters. And for legal cases, intent matters as well.

7 Likes

Because they don’t want people who can evaluate situations and make independent decisions.

They want easily swayed and compliant soldiers.

A well armed and well trained intelligent person can become a threat to their owners if they think independently…

6 Likes

No, think about it. Unless they use super capacitors as their main energy source, they probably have a LiPo pack which is unable to discharge itself safely in less than half an hour. Any faster than that and it would overheat and create a new hazard.

Then it can be limited in firmware. Right now that thing is a torture device, plain and simple.

6 Likes