Cops chase innocent shoplifting suspect into stranger's house, then storm it with 50-person SWAT team and blow up every room except one

I’ll add my recommendation. It’s gripping, with echoes of HIGH NOON in the sort of support Stallone’s character can count on. When it came out, I didn’t much care for Sly, but Siskel and Ebert talked the movie up, and they were right. (Not only that, but overall, he’s done a couple other movies I like. Go figure.) The supporting cast is right up there, too.

5 Likes

They’ll provide proof! Just give them a minute away from the cameras, and they’ll produce the meth and several weapons.

4 Likes

Good thing that the answer to 50 bad men with guns is a good man with a gun on the john, right? /s

2 Likes

4 Likes

The cops may claim that the guy that invaded the house should be the one held liable for the damage caused, not them.

Why? He didn’t blow the house up unnecessarily. Why should the cops not be accountable for all the shit they break? I mean, seriously, what possible justification?

I’m just following orders doesn’t work either. We proved that after WWII. So what explanation do they have?

Stupid fucking cops never heard of a siege. There were no hostages. Guess what, if you corner someone, even someone armed in a building, they don’t have an advantage. They’ll eventually get hungry. And will eventually do one of 2 things:

1. Surrender because they’re fucking real hungry. This might take a day or two.
  2. Starve. This might take a week.

In neither case are the cops killing people or breaking shit. And it even scales, since cops outside the house can have other cops bring them munchies and shit. There could even be a couple weeks of food in that house. It’ll still run out.

11 Likes

2 Likes

Don’t knock it man. Siege is an extremely reliable and ancient strategy that costs little manpower and few resources and nearly always succeeds. No shooting or blowing up houses necessary. Someone you want to apprehend has barricaded themselves without hostages? Let them cool off. Eventually they’ll want/need something not inside the 2000 square foot floor plan.

7 Likes

I’m not knocking it at all. It’s just that I encountered this classic image in my twitter feed yesterday and found it amusing.

I’d also turn off the water, by the way.

5 Likes

Power and gas too.

6 Likes

Well, yeah, but blowing stuff up is a lot more fun. And they may want to go to their second jobs, not stay there a long time. :wink:

3 Likes

For some reason I thought this happened in California, neither cold nor heat would necessarily apply in this case.

Though I see that the trees are still green in this picture. How come? When does fall start in Colorado?

$10,000 is about $9,000 more than what I have in my bank accounts at any given time, and I’m sure that on average an American dude doesn’t have $5,000 to $10,000 to spend on something other than necessities just kicking around. Also, the police fucking around and breaking my shit probably isn’t covered by home-owner’s insurance since they’re a legally sanctioned gang. So I don’t even have much value in my non-liquid assets to put up for collateral. I’m sure that the bank doesn’t feel great about lending against my HELOC when they find out that cops blew up pretty much all the rooms in my house looking for a bad guy.

$10 grand isn’t astronomical to someone making, like $70,000 a year. Most people in the US don’t make that much.

8 Likes

Without power or gas or water, you also can’t easily cook or use the toilets. That’s going to rapidly make the situation inside the house… unpleasant.

1 Like

did they run out of grenades?

3 Likes

I imagine it more like hide and seek with breaching compound.

“Ready or not, here we come!”

Boom! “He’s not in this one…”

Boom! “He’s not in this one…”

Boom! “Here he is!”

1 Like

–or–

“Captain, we’re going to have a sh*t ton of paperwork if we don’t use up this C4”
“Well figure something out”

1 Like

If you were in this situation, you’d have 6,000! The 1 that you said you had, and the 5 you got from the popo. I bet a lawyer would take that as a starting point and fight hard for you.

I estimate it would be about six months to reach a settlement and you’d get about 50 to 60000 to repair that particular house & replace contents and the lawyer would walk away with around 100,000. Just a guess. That would make it worth it. Seriously, this is how shit works in the USA. Don’t just roll over and play dead. Make em work for you.

1 Like
3 Likes

“Oh no, the suspect has hidden inside that house, and someone seems to be shooting at us from inside!”
Normal police: “Let’s surround the place and wait for them to surrender”
US Police: “Let’s blow the place up, lol”

I’m not saying that police everywhere else are always lovely and respectful, but compared to the US cops, they’re bloody saints.

6 Likes