Cops shoot man, then interrupt his funeral to press his corpse's finger to his Iphone

Police got the phone back within that window but after the body was released from state custody to the funeral home.

Yeah, though the article made it sound like the cops didn’t even have the phone, which made me wonder where it was. If some other cops had it, there’s really no excuses here. I suppose it’s possible that they found the phone at his home or some third location later, so they didn’t even know they potentially needed his prints for an unlock. (This also raises the possibility that it’s not even his phone.) It also seems weird to me that the body was released so quickly, but maybe they already examined him and no one was contesting how he died, and the cops were all, “Yep, we shot him in the back alright!”

2 Likes

Same here.

So much about this story just makes no sense.

3 Likes

Indeed.

And here I’ve been thinking that Keystone Cops went out of style many decades ago.

3 Likes

The “experts” effectively addressed that in siding with the cops (but one-note cop-friendly experts have been known to fold once challenged in court), but – practically speaking – I would have slammed the casket shut, demanded the non-existent warrant, and dared them to arrest me and the bereaved ones for cause.

1 Like

We still remember the Keystone Cops because it never stopped being true…

3 Likes

I honestly can’t say what I would have done in that situation; I just know that it would not have ended well.

1 Like

There is no expectation that your uploaded psyche will immediately be affronted so greatly that there would never be law enforcement ever again. There is no expectation that oh, it was just your codicil gal who was uploaded, but that it doesn’t matter. If your family all have the exact same reaction to a thing, that’s weird!

1 Like

Yes, but they chose when to release the body. Once you’ve released the body any return to it needs to be weighed against the trauma you are subjecting the family to. This is doubly true when the police kill the person in the first place.

1 Like

No, it was true of the Galaxy 8 as of last year:

Don’t spread falsehoods just to defend your favourite phone brand.

1 Like

No argument from me on that. It was a dick move. But is it possible they were compelled to release the body before they had the phone? Or someone goofed on the paperwork? I’m just guessing here. I suppose it’s also possible they just wanted to be as heartless as they could be.

warrant you have to search someone elses property.

1 Like

Not sure what radio frequency means in this context but it could totally work on pulse and blood oxygen. My $20 Chinese exercise band does that on the wrist. It probably couldn’t get a good measurement in the finger, but detecting the presence of those parameters should be possible I would think.

But maybe mortuaries should start offering to smooth out selected fingerprints, as an optional service.

2 Likes

Not sure if I’ll ever have reason to be shot in the back by cops, and they would need my fingerprint later, but check this off as one more reason I want to be cremated.

4 Likes

Did not know that. Is this true for Face ID as well?

I can’t speak to the need for a warrant. Laws get weird around the right’s of the dead. I’m strictly speaking to the not being a monster side of the equation.

1 Like

Cool cyberpunk story! Or used to be.

I’m speaking of the rights of the living to whom the body was signed away.

That persons rights were violated. The still living.

That was the point, or didnt you get that part?

It comes down to seeing the needs of the people first, or the authorities first.

Basically it uses RF to scan the live tissue underneath the outer layer of dead skin cells.

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Radio-Frequency-RF-based-Fingerprint-Sensor-14_fig5_224382169

Mind you there’s no guarantee this phone used an RF-based sensor, there are a variety of sensor technologies engineers can incorporate. But most modern phones are deliberately designed to defeat artificial fingerprints, with the incidental consequence that they don’t work if the tissue has been dead for a while.

2 Likes

What about tresspassing? When the family says “hey, what the fuck, get your hands off my dead relative” you’d have to stop I assume.