Cops routinely unlock phones with corpses' fingers

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/03/27/no-privacy-in-death.html

4 Likes

Now to use duress prints.
(Ring finger, middle finger, OK)
(index finger, do not recognize any further fingerprints until passcode entered.)

9 Likes

That cop is telling that old woman, “Get outta here ya old bag! There ain’t nuttin to see hear!” and she replies,
“Oh my goodness! You’re so rude!”

6 Likes

Wait a minute, “Forbes police?”

2 Likes

Cops: Kicking asses and taking names…

2 Likes

Biometrics are lousy for security in so many ways. I have a pass code for my phone - blow it 10 times and the phone wipes itself.

10 Likes

“Corpse Fingers”, dark metal band name?

16 Likes

What? There’s plenty of beautiful songs about dead people.

3 Likes

One of my favourites.

"They found Mary Bellows cuffed to the bed
With a rag in her mouth and a bullet in her head
O poor Mary Bellows "

2 Likes

Zactly…

2 Likes

Stiff Little Fingers?

3 Likes

Man, that name sounds so sinister in the context. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

This reads like something from a ‘Here Be Monsters’ podcast.

1 Like
12 Likes

And it’s entirely legal for police to use the technique, even if there might be some ethical quandaries to consider.

Isn’t that droll? Police considering ethical quandaries?

5 Likes

‘Rigor Trigger Finger’

1 Like

Dr. Lecter meets the information age.

2 Likes

I could get accustomed to ring-fingering my phone. How easy is it to set up “duress prints?” (android)

3 Likes

What the hell phone lets this work? Mine barely works when my thumb is slightly wet or a little cold.

5 Likes

Apple is pretty good at protecting privacy. Seems like an app for the Apple Watch could detect the death of the wearer and lock or even wipe the users phone. Of course this would just give the cops a reason to take a victims watch and put it on their own wrist instead of giving lifesaving care.

1 Like