Cats and coronavirus: 3rd animal case in Hong Kong, and SARS-CoV-2 can replicate in cats says new China study

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/04/02/coronavirus-and-cats-3rd-anim.html

2nd domestic cat infected in Hong Kong

6 Likes

Noooo! I have to board my kitty while I move, and if the vet shuts down over this a bad situation is gonna get even worse. :pleading_face: :crying_cat_face:

27 Likes

tumblr_p36dps7izR1w97wono2_500

31 Likes

Please note the disclaimer “pre-print, not peer-reviewed”!

29 Likes

We have four cats. Social isolation is their default state, but how do I get them to drink from separate water bowls?

14 Likes

Also the Belgian cat.

My cats are indoor only, with myself as the only human they interact with. Still, the younger one has a tendency to drool when she purrs, and often naively sneezes in my face. :scream_cat:

15 Likes

“must…get…away!!!”

26 Likes

So maybe it’s good my cats are getting old?

2 Likes

Pretty sure this is how Planet of the Apes started.

12 Likes

Dead

12 Likes

It was certainly the premise of my favorite of the sequels

6 Likes

pose-pray-greaaat

8 Likes

Now, on the positive side:

It’s good to have animal models for human pathogens. Really good. For influenza we usually use ferrets, which is OK since they breed like mice and mice don’t work out so well. I know we’re working on some novel vaccine production methods, but the old fashioned ones are good too and that means culturing the pathogen in animal tissues, which (because not human) they generally adapt to in ways that leave them immunologically similar to the human version but not as virulent.

Chances are fair that even when a pet gets the virus from humans after it’s reproduced in the pet a few zillion times it’s going to be less dangerous. Or, of course, sometimes more dangerous (although that seems to be a bat thing more than a dog and cat thing.)

So take a deep breath and wait for more science.

11 Likes

There have been many moments in my life that were made more dangerous by the presence of one or more cats. Yet every time I’ve been swooped by bats, they have always very gracefully avoided me.

2 Likes

Now what about dogs? I keep seeing dogs out on walks that seem upset nobody wants to come pet them. And perhaps more importantly: dog parks. Dogs don’t even begin to have a concept of “social distancing”

6 Likes

This raises so many questions.

How long do cats remain infected?
If I recover, do I still need to remain in quarantine until my cat recovers?
Should I keep guests away until my cat recovers?
Can I give my cat’s covid-19 to friends and family I visit without my cat?
Who can I get to test my incredibly-hostile-to-strangers cat?

4 Likes

First, there’s no evidence of pet to human transmission.

Second, the cat that tested positive, did so in samples of feces and vomit (but was symptomatic for something with GI and respiratory signs). My question would be was this cat snuggling with the COVID + owner and grooming virus off of its coat? Is it positive on blood samples?

Weirdly, cats and ferrets have very similar ACE2 receptors to humans (where Sars-Cov binds).

Here’s some good info from the AVMA:

Also, thanks for making me deal with work stuff when not at work… ugh… (jk, always happy to be an opinionated ass)

9 Likes

35f9fdc6017696a38c08d433a8719830

16 Likes

Somehow I feel a little less squicked about testing drugs on ferrets than on cats. Although I’ve met some perfectly lovely ferrets.

1 Like