Costco's gold bars sell out within hours

Better have the tools too. That prepper fantasy of being the only living person in their county is more likely hundreds of preppers rushing to their local Home Depot War.

11 Likes

But instant coffee. It’ll last forever; but ground coffee maybe a year at best.

Throw some Scotch and vodka into that bag!

11 Likes

Betting that big box stores like HD and Lowes will empty in days. I’m heading over to Grainger Industrial Supply myself.

9 Likes

The sad thing is that gold is genuinely useful as a conductor. But that’s not what these one-ounce bars are being bought up at a high price for.

7 Likes

Personally I’m more fascinated by the “150-serving” meal kit containing the necessary amount of calories for an average adult man to live for a grand total of 12 days, assuming zero strenuous physical activity. Are you supposed to eat 12 ½ meals a day? Even half that is just silly. Or is it four “servings” a meal?

4 Likes

It is, but it’s also not really in particularly short supply, and for conductors it’s typically used in micron-scale thicknesses for coating other metals to protect from corrosion and ensure good contact, so the amounts needed for that are small (compared to for example copper, at least).

4 Likes

because I’ll never drink it.

I’ll just have to go cold turkey. Only a minor irritant in the scheme of things as I starve to death trying to live off a ten metre square garden in partial shade.

8 Likes

As part of a (non-end times) investment strategy, it can be a decent hedge against inflation. Case in point, $5 would also buy you a really nice suit in the 1800’s. You’re right, though. It doesn’t grow over time, and often goes down in the short term, so real investors usually avoid it, or at most only invest a small percentage of their portfolio in it.

7 Likes

It’s hard to find a decent one. My Hagen is the best I’ve found.

But as currency in the zombie apocalypse? You’d be sitting in the catbird seat.

6 Likes

Believe it or not, there are actually pretty good specialty-grade instant coffees to be found these days. But they also cost an arm and a leg - think around $3 and upward per cup. Hardly the kind of stuff you buy in bulk for your bunker!

Edit: obligatory James Hoffman videos below

9 Likes

try instant espresso. some of them are pretty good.

4 Likes

$7k worth of survival food with a 30 year shelf life yet no coffee.

WTF I think COSCO’s gold bars are to distract members from that fact.

11 Likes

That’s because you’re not thinking “Big Picture.” You need the gold after the fall to hammer into a crown and medallion, so you can legitimately go around telling your neighbors what’s what.

9 Likes

I hate when they don’t sample things I really want to try.

13 Likes

Toothpicks keep breaking.

10 Likes

Considering my peanut allergy, that would be a very short subsistence! :grin:

9 Likes

Handy for those of us in earthquake country, though. A few days of food and water on-hand is recommended.

We’re due to replace our quake kit soon. Will check out Costco’s offerings as well as others. It’s not all Libertarian Zombiepocalypse Preppers, but we do appreciate them creating a demand so we can shop around. :wink:

18 Likes

You might need some gold for teeth- if you can find a dentist.

10 Likes

Are Costco shoppers expecting an invasion by Cybermen?

IMG_2381

8 Likes

I do not want to survive in a world like that.

5 Likes