Could ChatGPT replace the labor produced by corporate Chief Operating Officers?

Originally published at: Could ChatGPT replace the labor produced by corporate Chief Operating Officers? | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Add CFO and CEO to the list. Keep those relevant positions still onboard but pay those human counterparts a normal wage because the value that they bring to a company is minimal compared to everyone else.

12 Likes

Most C level executives could be replaced by a Magic 8 Ball™ and the quality of the decision making would actually improve.

21 Likes

No Lies Detected GIFs | Tenor

6 Likes

bd022bbe-878f-4450-bdc0-31440804ce2d_text

6 Likes

I maintain that a great many of our businesses, sports teams, etc., could be better run by hiring someone for the top job who would do absolutely nothing. Not even show up. Their record speaks for itself.

4 Likes

A lot of management* activity seems to consist of the creation of pretty but vapid PowePoints, which would seem a task eminently suited to AI.

* Not all managers, obviously — I’ve had, and continue to have, some great managers. But enough of them.

4 Likes

I think the fundamental problem for C-level positions in many large companies is that the rewards for their decision-making have been decoupled from the culpability for any negative outcomes of their decisions.

This is what makes them replaceable with an adequate AI.

Return the culpability, and a human in the role makes sense again.

10 Likes

A good C-level exec is a strategic thinker who helps to set the right direction for an organization. Someone who does that well is not going to be replaced by an AI anytime soon.

Maybe the better thing to say is that any company who has a C-level exec that can be replaced by an AI (and there are plenty) should instead replace their execs with real humans who actually add more value than an AI is capable of.

11 Likes

Need a different headline to this post–currently it violates Betteridge

2 Likes

Could ChatGPT replace the labor produced by corporate Chief Operating Officers?

Could CoOs be replaced by Magic 8-balls?

Yes in both instances.

5 Likes

“Go away or I will replace you with a very small shell script.”

12 Likes

ChatGPT’s rapid response, apparent understanding of its brief and inability to file massive expense claims means its a long way from passing for a convincing executive.

2 Likes

Much of that can be easily fixed with changes to ChatGPT’s training data.

2 Likes

I’m just not convinced that an AI can ever truly replicate the callous disregard for humanity that C-Suite executives bring to the table.

1 Like

The real reason that the powerful fear AI: the powerful cost too much, they are not good at leading and an AI would generally admit that paying the executives less and the staff more would lead to better results, economy, satisfaction and lower stress.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.