Could we actually build a space elevator?

Arthur C Clarke covered it first.

15 Likes

The problem is, “cancer” is not thing; it’s a whole category of medical conditions and issues, with varied overlap. You might as well say “cure disease”.

4 Likes

But both statements are saying we can do something… so long as we invent discover something we are not even sure exists…

4 Likes

Well, AFAIK there’s nothing in principle barring either. If we get robust and ubiquitous medical nanotech, for example, curing cancer becomes entirely feasible.

1 Like

Granted, and I will cheer if we do both, but to answer “Yes”, it seems a bit… optimistic. I think one would more honestly answer both questions “Not with the technology we have now.”

4 Likes

Runner up: Umbrella Academy’s Ride of the Valkyries played by an ice cream truck.

6 Likes
5 Likes

That’s good news. Many of us are currently working on that.

6 Likes

You look so good; when you’re coming down
Like a rocket to the moon; when you hit the ground.
That one.

And on arriving up, maybe “I had a dream, I had to take a test, at a Dairy Queen, on the moon.” Or the related Barnes & Barnes song.

4 Likes

I suspect that even if you have the technology to build one in theory, it will be conisdered too expensive and too vulnerable to build. War, space junk, asteroids, some material defect along the lenght of the cable. So much that can go wrong.

Besides, a skyhook is much cooler:

5 Likes

The hard part is there will be no ine cure as pancreatic is a different beast than liver cancer than brain cancer, etc. A cure for Melanoma is not necessairly a cure for any other form,

4 Likes

Understood, and agreed upon.

It would be absurd to say “Yes we can cure cancer, once we have discovered a cure for cancer.” Likewise, I am not sure it is very scientific to say “Yes, we can build a space elevator, once we discover a material from which we can build a space elevator.”

6 Likes

Or use existing nanotech, specifically human immune system. There are already impressive achievements in that area.

2 Likes

Sort of picturing a line of surgeons and robot surgeon surgeons and medicine precisionators and oncologists working on a nanobot…who are we, chopped liver?

Fiber defense of unusual size sounds like a good diversion when cell sorting and recruitment (gotta fill in with the more pleuripotent ones) needs a bit of mulling over.

8 Likes

with production facilities the size or greater than starliner because…

1 Like

Few people know they also wrote a song about 2020…

(I’m here all week, try the veal…)

5 Likes

Is that Rob’s older brother in the front?

1 Like

10 Likes

You get more miles to the gallon:

3 Likes