Couple sells everything for adventure life on sailboat, and it sinks after two days

Add to that flying a plane which is known for both speed as a private plane and difficulty to fly. The Beechcraft Bonanza, aka the Forked Tail Doctor Killer
http://atomictoasters.com/2014/02/forked-tail-doctor-killer-the-beechcraft-bonanza/

“Overconfident pilots, often in very skilled non-aviation careers, have crashed a fair number of Bonanzas”

1 Like

If they wanted to play it safe and have the freshest sushi imaginable, they would have ponied up the money to visit Tokyo’s Tsukiji Market shops. There is more danger of being run over by a forklift than of getting sick from the food.

what I know of the subject is from towing them back to shore after they get swamped.

Not really built for any kind of chop it current. Or wind. They do work here in the most sheltered and calmest bays and lagoons. In the harbors. That sort of thing. But as the sort of person who buys a lake boat for use in a complicated marine archepeligo is the sort of person who doesn’t understand boats. Well. There’s more than a few sunken pontoon boats blocking channels.

There some businesses that use them appropriately. Wetland tours. And water based beer or winery events. But it’s always a little startling when you them knocking around miles out in the open ocean. You just wonder “how?”.

1 Like

Of course when you say Pontoon boat to me, I think of this accident which happened with a professional captain. https://www.ntsb.gov/investigations/AccidentReports/Reports/MAR0601.pdf

From the summary that sounds exactly like what I’m talking about pontoon boat in a saltwater bay. Lots of people on it. Those things don’t deal with chop it current very well. They’re supposed to be a stable platform for rafting up or bobbing around in calm water. And they’re also referred to as “party barges”.

They just aren’t appropriate for any situation that may involve surf.

We do use simulating barges for aquaculture here. But they’re engineered differently deeper drafts with different shaped pontoons for stability. And even then they aren’t meant to go out when it’s rough and are limited to the shallow, calm sections of the bays where we farm oysters. Anyone running a shellfish lease in deeper water tend to go with a different style of boat.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.