Couple sells everything for adventure life on sailboat, and it sinks after two days

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/02/12/couple-sells-everything-for-ad.html

4 Likes

It’s like my dream of owning an airplane - without taking flying lessons.

25 Likes

Never turn your back on the sea, it’s always watching.

My childhood sailing instructor was a poet of sorts.

24 Likes

Could you say that they sunk all their money into this…?
I’ll see myself out now.

40 Likes

I don’t sail, but I have friends who do. It’s at least as complex a task as flying a small plane, though of course less dangerous to fail at. I remember my friend’s dad telling me about applying for boat insurance on the used 26 footer he restored. They only insured him because he’d been sailing since he was six.

I applaud this couple’s spirit, but not their planning.

17 Likes

Makes me wonder if they know how to swim!

1 Like

If you fail at sailing in the open ocean, it is every bit as dangerous as flying. An example is that falling overboard at night in bad weather (when it is most likely to happen) is almost certainly fatal.

11 Likes

True, but you’re less likely to hit bystanders.

13 Likes

It was God punishing them for all those vertical videos!

8 Likes

During my 6 months at Sea Survival School [back in the ole’ century], you learn very quickly that the percentage of survivors that hit the water is near zero. These guys were lucky to live to tell the tale.

11 Likes

She went “downstairs?”

That’s good, because her husband was probably pulling on the rope that makes the big pole go left and right.

15 Likes

Seems like an example of the Dunning-Kruger effect.

11 Likes

A true crime story concerning why the dream of living on a deserted tropical island can be a really bad thing.

The couple in the book after living miserably on an island with no infrastructure to speak of, killed a couple with a nicer boat and used it to go back to civilization.

3 Likes

Cue the Captain Quint USS Indianapolis monologue

11 Likes

So, basically, the dumber you are, the smarter you can think you are? Whereas if you are smart, you can recognize how dumb you are? That is some delicious irony right there.

6 Likes

The gist of it is basically the less you know about something the easier it is to think you’re good at it, whereas someone that’s considered an expert at something will often downplay their skill and knowledge for two reasons. As an “expert” they’re aware of all the branches of their field they don’t know much about and are aware of many of the things they have yet to learn. Experts can often also downplay their skill saying anyone can do it, which might be possible, but they downplay the hours/years spent learning that skill/craft/system.

My father used to say, “The more I learn, the more I realize all the things I don’t know”

…but yeah, your not far off in your assessment.

6 Likes

I oughtta know, having tried it myself when my family sold everything to move to the island of Rarotonga.

I applaud and envy your moxie, but holy sh*t, whatever happened to baby steps?? For reference, they moved here -

14 Likes

I think the Dunning-Kruger effect needs an extension. Many people with high ability in some subjects are unable to assess their abilities outside those subjects.

16 Likes

Am I the only one that immediately thought of Jack Parson’s wife and L.Ron?

3 Likes

I was in suspense the whole time wondering if the pug was gonna be okay!

9 Likes